+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for fans of Prog rock

Default Re: Looking for fans of Prog rock

I dig the Fish era stuff, but I admit I'm more of an h (Steve Hogarth) era fan. Some of the earlier albums are kind of poppish but they have come full circle into some fantastic progressive stuff, without trying to fit in with the prog mold. Their latest CD Happiness is the Road might even be my favorite.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Ever heard of an artist named Phideux? He sang on one of Ayreon's CDs. His music is kind of pink flyodish. Lots of good solid melodies but quite dark sounding at times.

Marillions good. I've seen them live.

DID SOMEONE SAY SYMPHONY X AND AYREON!??

...yeah I do love my prog

Have you seen Symphony X live? By the way, I still can't get over how your name is Sympathy X and you have a real One Piece tattoo. I think I'm going to have to meet you someday.

Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 1, one of my fav. songs of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CujnKHti5w

I should have come to the media forum sooner. Im a big prog rock fan. Not as big as some I know, but I love the genre.

Frank Zappa
    Yes
    Genesis
    Camel
    Caravan
    King Crimson
    Atomic Rooster
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Gentle Giant
    Van Der Graaf Generator
    Gong
    The Moody Blues
    Porcupine Tree
    Opeth
    Amaseffer
    Hawkwind

All great bands. I want to get out to NEARfest in the beginning of the summer, since the lineup so far looks pretty awesome.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

One of these days I'd like to go to Nearfest...unfortunately it's just not very "near" to me. We used to have a Prog West over here but I don't think there has been one for a couple of years.

Too bad there aren't too many live performances for this song...for that matter many decent sound recordings of it

[YOUTUBE]f2rIj6dt7uc[/YOUTUBE]

It takes place about an hour away from me, fortunately, so all I need to worry about is tickets.

Also, listening to Frank Zappas The Grand Wazoo on vinyl right now. Awesome album, though, I think pretty much anything Zappa's done is awesome, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FF6Ultros View Post
    Have you seen Symphony X live? By the way, I still can't get over how your name is Sympathy X and you have a real One Piece tattoo. I think I'm going to have to meet you someday.
    Yeah saw SymphonyX in London last year.

Best gig ever. I didnt even think they played Masquerade anymore and BAM straight out.

Shit my pants with enjoyment

Have you heard of a prog festival called 3RP? It's in Pittsburgh. My friend went there last year and said Spock's Beard, the Flower Kings, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, and a bunch of other bands played. Looks like Nearfest is the biggest prog festival in the world though.

to Sympathy X - SAVE US FROM THIS MASQUARADE OF LIES!!! Classic song Sympathy X. I still haven't bought their new album though.

I think I have The Grand Wazoo on vinyl too. But I left most of my vinyl at my old house.
    I haven't heard of the other festival, I like that band lineup better than Nearfest's this year though ^^

I really only started expanding my vinyl collection recently and a good portion has been prog rock. Also got Frank Zappa's Apostrophe, Joe's Garage and We're Only In It For The Money, Yes's The Yes Album and Close To The Edge, Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery, Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick, Traffic's The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys, King Crimson's Lizard and Robert Fripp and Andy Summers' I Advance Masked.

YES! Thick as a Brick. One of my favorite albums / songs of all time. Have you heard Jethro Tull's, "Passion Play". It's their only other masterpiece concept album that is ALMOST as good as thick as a brick. Very experimental.

Cosmic. The line up at 3PR this year includes lesser known bands, but it should be a great show. Some bands that are playing include Glass Hammer, It Bites, IQ, and Singularity. Don't know if you know any of those bands.

If I name any other bands you'll be angry. ;)

Here is the site http://3rprogfest.com/

Hm, only bands I know there are IQ and Glass Hammer. I do have a couple of Glass Hammer CDs.

I used to be major vinyl junky...I even went to record collector shows every month. But the convenience of mp3s and internet kind of phased me out. Though some things you just can't find on CD or mp3. I had to make my own copy of Jackson Heights - King Progress. Talk about obscure :P

Quote Originally Posted by FF6Ultros View Post
    YES! Thick as a Brick. One of my favorite albums / songs of all time. Have you heard Jethro Tull's, "Passion Play". It's their only other masterpiece concept album that is ALMOST as good as thick as a brick. Very experimental.
    I actually prefer A Passion Play, but I don't happen to have it on vinyl, haha. Thick As A Brick is great, though as well. As far as prog epics are concerned, my favorite is "Karn Evil 9" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, which I've got on vinyl (Brain Salad Surgery).

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I used to be major vinyl junky...I even went to record collector shows every month. But the convenience of mp3s and internet kind of phased me out. Though some things you just can't find on CD or mp3. I had to make my own copy of Jackson Heights - King Progress. Talk about obscure :P
    I mostly buy CDs, but vinyl just has much better quality and I love having the artwork and handling the large records. I prefer having a physical media collection in some form, so I never buy off of iTunes or anything. I'll download free, but try to buy eventually.

I do have some vinyl-only releases as well, but they don't fall under the genre of progressive rock, haha (Got a 12" split between Kongh and Ocean Chief, but that's sludge/doom metal, a whole different ballpark).

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Hm, only bands I know there are IQ and Glass Hammer. I do have a couple of Glass Hammer CDs.
    The final lineup for the 3RP show is complete. King's X is headlining!!!
    www.3rprogfest.com

How do you guys feel about prog metal acts? Atheist and Cynic are amazing and Opeth and Amaseffer are great as well, but I've never been as huge a fan of prog metal as I've been of prog rock, despite being a bigger metalhead than rocker.

The only prog metal I really listen to is Dream Theater and Symphony X. I've heard some Opeth, and besides the roaring vocals, I really like what they do. I appreciate a good balance between heavy and light though. Fates Warning and Angra are decent.

Oh, how did I forget the mention Fates Warning? They're awesome, too.

Prog metal, though, seems to have been filled up with a lot of pointless wankery and going over the top (Between The Buried And Me comes to mind).

Yeah, a lot of the prog metal has all that Yngwie solo bullshit. I'm more for quality song writing over technicallity. Although, when the two are combined it's just awesome. Do you know a guitarist named Steve Morse? He balances that stuff out very well in his song writing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information