+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for fans of Prog rock

Default Re: Looking for fans of Prog rock

hmmmm, I like Jethro Tull, but I never really got into them a whole lot, other than some of their more popular songs. There's some other stuff I've listened to before like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Happy the Man, and Camel, but they were easily forgotten about over time. A more obscure band that I saw live once and really liked was Deadwood Forest; but the broke up. Love the CD though.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Camel is sweet. I'll check out Deadwood Forest soon.

On Broadway this season...Wicked! Starring Geddy Lee.

I'd buy a ticket to that. :)

I saw that Wicked show. Geddy was amazing. I heard Rush is releasing a Retrospectives III CD!

Did you really? Tell me about it! Always wanted to hear him sing "Popular".

Anyone know Gentle Giant?

I know of them, yes.

Catman of the New World Starlimitz2's Avatar

Long Live TOOL!!! Maynard is the master! Yes I love Progressive Rock, along with many other alternative rock bands and sub-genres.

Is Tool still playing or have they disbanded?

Catman of the New World Starlimitz2's Avatar

They're still playing, they're supposed to come out with a new album later on this year.

Dude...you're done. Quit the spam.

I'm just a HUGE fan. I'm not in the band. No one has even made a comment about them.

Being a huge fan isn't an excuse to post the same link over and over again in different threads, on the same page in one thread, and sending pms with the same link...that is spamming and it is annoying.

No one mentioned Porcupine Tree here? Steven Wilson is a genious!

I prefer "modern" bands in this genre. Other favourites are Ayreon, Symphony X and Dream Theater.
    But you really can't define that because so many bands in this genre are 30 years or older
    I also like Queensryche, Kansas, Pink Floyd. Never got much into Rush, Tool or Yes. Don't know how. There's not much difference but somehow I don't like them that much :/

You are right Cosmic. I'll stop. But, let's keep the thread because a bunch of people here seem interested in progressive rock.

Behemoth. I do like Porcupine Tree. They are one of the best modern prog bands out there. I'm still waiting for Symphony X to come to Japan (I live in Japan). They haven't been here for YEARS! I only like old Dream Theater stuff. I thought Jordan Rudess kind of ruined the band. Images and Words, Awake, and Change of Seasons are their best stuff.

I haven't heard enough Ayreon to pass judgement on him. But, I think it's cool how he uses a ton of different prog musicians. I think that once he invites you to play for him, especially the voalists, you know you've made some kind of impact on the progressive rock world.

Kansas is one of my favorite bands. A lot of people who know Kansas only know DUST IN THE WIND and CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON, but as you know Behemoth, Kansas has a ton of other great music. My favorite albums by them are probably Leftoverture and Point of No Return. Great stuff. They still play too.

That's all for now.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

FF6 Ultros do you actually read one piece
    you basically ONLY post in this thread and that's it

I have read all of One Piece in both Japanese and English. I've seen all of the anime episodes. One Piece is one of my hobbies, haha. I mainly use this site just to check spoilers. Currently waiting for 531. When the v2. manga site was up, I used to post a lot on there. I guess I saw that media forum one day and decided to talk about prog. Yeah, that's my story.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth89 View Post
    No one mentioned Porcupine Tree here? Steven Wilson is a genious!
    I did...I love PT. I saw them live a few years back and I own a few CDs, namely Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, In Abstentia, and some older stuff...I can't get into the really old stuff though.

You might like some newer Marillion, looking at your taste in music.
    A long time ago I downloaded a song called "Shifting Sands" by a band called Strangefish, but I could never get the whole CD. They sounded very promising though. Unfortunately, when I searched for their website, I found that they have disbanded. I might try and find the CD anyway.

Yeah. Completely forgot about Marillion
    Came across them through Ayreon's Into The Electric Castle. Fish has a small role on it and his singing blew me away!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information