Page 64 of 301 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 6001

Thread: Naruto Discussion!

My first post in the Naruto discussion topic involves a comparsion between Naruto and one of the biggest literature icons ever.

Naruto and Harry Potter.

Have you ever noticed how similar they are?

Three Kids
    Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura
    Harry, Ron, Hermoine

Naruto and Harry are orphans.

Both have great power.

Both villains are snake related (Orochimaru and Voldemort.)

Both are very popular in America (Naruto kicking One Piece's ass.)

Special schools to train their powers

Sandaime Hokage and Dumbledore both SPOILERS FOR BOTH STORIES

Die.

Both authors are very, very rich.

Both are popular in their native countries.

That's all I got. But if you have more I'd like to hear them.

I like the fact that Sai has got a mouth like that on him, should make things interesting on the journey. Also I wonder what that guy Yamato will be like.

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan
    My first post in the Naruto discussion topic involves a comparsion between Naruto and one of the biggest literature icons ever.

Naruto and Harry Potter.

Have you ever noticed how similar they are?

Three Kids
    Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura
    Harry, Ron, Hermoine

Naruto and Harry are orphans.

Both have great power.

Both villains are snake related (Orochimaru and Voldemort.)

Both are very popular in America (Naruto kicking One Piece's ass.)

Special schools to train their powers

Sandaime Hokage and Dumbledore both SPOILERS FOR BOTH STORIES

Die.

Both authors are very, very rich.

Both are popular in their native countries.

If 4Kids hadn't royally screwed over the dub OP would be a lot more popular than it is.

If you want a BIG difference between HP and Naruto . . . . . Ron is like the exact opposite of Sasuke. But I see where you're going.

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan
    I guess this is technically a book six spoiler, so:

Both of the elderly headmasters recognized that the villain is a dangerous prick when he is a child, but chose to train him anyway on the slight-chance that he really won't turn out to be that bad after all. Each of them proceeds to kill quite a few of their old masters' friends with Orochimaru actually personally killing the Third Hokage. Dumbasses.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Some of these are more "trivial", but...
    -Both have scars : on Harry's forehead and the whisker scars on Naruto's cheeks
    -Both gained power from some sort of evil being : Harry gained Voldemort's powers when he tried to kill Harry and Naruto gained his powers from the Kyuubi
    -Both have a female replace their leader : Tsunade replaces Sarutobi, McGonagoll (for now) replaces Dumbledore
    -The girls in the team are both smart : Hermione and Sakura
    -Both Naruto and Harry were hated as kids (well, Naruto by everyone and technically Harry was loved by the wizards, but hated by the people he lived with)
    -Both villains reincarnate themselves into other bodies
    -A giant snake is fought in both
    -Both have younger kids that worship them : the kid with the camera (forget his name) in HP and Konohamaru (yeah, he said he'd be Naruto's rival, but he still copies him)

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

There's an HP-Naruto parallel because Kishimoto was partially inspired by the books; in turn, he was able to predict (or, if you would have it, influence) Dumbledore's death by killing off his "Professor".

Ever wonder why Naruto is so popular with American readers, but not One Piece? It's foreign and follows the same format as HP, but with a slight twist; it's a weekly, as opposed to a diannual (somewhat) event.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek
    There's an HP-Naruto parallel because Kishimoto was partially inspired by the books; in turn, he was able to predict (or, if you would have it, influence) Dumbledore's death by killing off his "Professor".

Ever wonder why Naruto is so popular with American readers, but not One Piece? It's foreign and follows the same format as HP, but with a slight twist; it's a weekly, as opposed to a diannual (somewhat) event.
    I actually have my theories on this. Most American anime fans who either watch dubs, buy DVDs, or are heavy into the fansub/scanlating communities grew up with DBZ. What is more similar to DBZ, Naruto or One Piece? Exactly.

I was talking to my friend who likes One Piece, and we both agreed that if One Piece was drawn in a more "traditional" way, OP would be vastly more popular stateside. Instead, people gravitate towards Naruto and Bleach and the like with traditional "power-ups" and art style.
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    - Ellen Goodman

Badass Hat

Proving once more that people are sheep. Now dance for me sheep, Dance!
    Let us hope Luffy does not copy one of Frankeys moves.
    Just imagine Gomu Gomu Coup de Poo...

I agree that One Piece's art is usually the biggest turnoff to a non-fan. Even I didn't like the artwork at first, and you gotta admit the art in the beginning wasn't that good. A little too cartoony for my taste. But oh how that art has grown in leaps and bounds. . . . . the artwork in Water Seven is to die for.

And yes, funny how fanboys/girls gripe about power-ups and stuff and yet still love series like Naruto and Bleach. (although I gotta admit, I LOVE the art in Bleach)

One Piece isn't popular in America because, in the words of Maddox (phrs), "American Otaku arn't into Anime because it's new or interestesting; they're into it just because it's Japanese, because anything foreign is inherently better than something American." Naruto, though an inferior manga to OP, is more "Japanese" because of its setting and focus on an important sect of skilled individuals that were influential in Japanese history. One could say the same about "Bleach", but not about Yu-Yu-Hakusho, of which all of the people I spoke to whom identify themselves as otaku hate with a passion. o_O;

By this same logic, there's no reason Princess Mononoke should have done poorly in America aside from bad advertising, which was the case. Yay for historical trends.

First things first: I never, ever picture Harry Potter when reading Naruto. Or the other way around... It seems silly:

"But Harry, the spell doesn't..."

"YOUR EYES LOOK LIKE MINE!"

Yeah, that kinda silly.

Second: Is it just me, or does Ino look.. bland?

Third: DUBBED Mononoke. Gah. Thank goodness for DVD and subtitles... Seriously, Gillian Anderson for MORO? What were they smoking?

You know Kishimoto planned to right a magic series eventually? He wanted to do it after he finished Naruto, but because of HP's popularity he realized most people would think he was just copying Rowling. :l

And on a side note: Anyone else think Monoke was... wierd? The beginning was good, but by the time they shot off the big Spirit's head, I was just kinda like "WTF is going on?!" I mean it was fine movie, but just... I dunno.
    And Spirited Away really disturbed me (NoFace... @_@ ).

Hahaha the other day I was telling my boyfriend that One Piece is about the only anime I have ever seen where about 99% of the male characters don't have spikey hair.

image credit to Fleur. <3

DA LJ twitter

Quote Originally Posted by omnichild
    Hahaha the other day I was telling my boyfriend that One Piece is about the only anime I have ever seen where about 99% of the male characters don't have spikey hair.
    Thinks...

Takahashi works have conservative hair cuts, but then again, Takahashi was parallel with Toriyama during the eighties.

Hajime no Ippo's got normal-haired guys...

I have to find that pic I have somewhere with Orochimaru reading Half Blood Prince and drooling at the idea of horcruxes.

The characters done by the artist of Hikaru No Go and DeathNote have normal hair, mostly. =3 The craziest hair still goes to Yugi though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte EXE
    I have to find that pic I have somewhere with Orochimaru reading Half Blood Prince and drooling at the idea of horcruxes.
    LOL makes perfect sense he'd do that :laugh:
    He spent fifteen years getting loaded | Fifteen years 'till his liver exploded | Now what's Bob gonna do now that he can't drink? |

Here it is!

Thread Information