+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NEW Funimation Dub FAQ Topic

Default Re: NEW Funimation Dub FAQ Topic

Funimations model for this is faulty. The strength of One Piece is it's "spirit"; it won't catch on unless it's given a proper run on tv. They need to run it fullstop on one of the major networks, and while I'd gambit viewership would be low initially, every week you'd be gaining a ton of new fans.. and in the end you'd be dealing with a huge exponential in ratings in a few months.. you just need to market it as mass appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by grunk View Post
    Funimations model for this is faulty. The strength of One Piece is it's "spirit"; it won't catch on unless it's given a proper run on tv. They need to run it fullstop on one of the major networks, and while I'd gambit viewership would be low initially, every week you'd be gaining a ton of new fans.. and in the end you'd be dealing with a huge exponential in ratings in a few months.. you just need to market it as mass appeal.
    So basically you are saying a major network would just sit by and would let a program get bad ratings and just hope that it will eventually get a huge uprising in ratings? In this day, I really doubt TV Networks would do that. And it isn't that simple for FUNi to just put the show on a network, if it were, they would have done it a LONG time ago.
    Happy 20th anniversary, One Piece anime!

Quote Originally Posted by grunk View Post
    Yeah because it's so easy to get an anime like One Piece on the air (especially in this day and age). I'm sure FUNi would kill for a TV deal, it's a no-brainer. I doubt they'd walk away from something like that. The problem is no network is interested in airing a show like this, so they're trying the best they can with the DVDs right now.

I'm sure it would be a hit if given a proper run with the FUNi dub, but it's not going to be given that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Movie 8 was a test, and I worry we may have failed it...
    I never thought of it that way. Movie 8 came with the license, and no matter what, episodes are always going to be given higher priority over movies. There's no real indication that Movie 8 sold poorly.
    Last edited by Maron; March 11th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

So after being absent for some time, I gave this topic a much needed update. I'd like to thank Darkstorm, Zephray, Demon Rin, and anyone else who helped compile the information in the DVD discussion thread. You're all very awesome!

Updates

- Complied information already established in the Funimation DVD Discussion Thread.
    - The status of UK releases of One Piece
    - A more in depth History for the licensing of One Piece in America
    - Updated Cast List (will be 100% up to date by the end of the weekend)

I'll try to update this topic with the release of every DVD set as they come out, but just in case I noted for anyone reading to also check out the DVD Discussion Thread (especially considering this thread mostly serves as an overall reference, whereas the DVD thread is more for the news as it comes out). Still, sorry for falling behind guys; between One Piece having a bit of a release hiatus (not counting Collections) and opening my own business back in August, time has definitely flown by. But I must say I'm very happy we're in Season 4 and I love watching my favorite arc again. Again, thanks everyone for your help and I hope you like the update. Let me know if there are any details you'd like added!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information