View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the latest OP eps (animation & art wise)

Voters
885. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't see any problem with them, so, yes I am

322 36.38%
  • hmmm..maybe

237 26.78%
  • No!

326 36.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 311 of 311 FirstFirst ... 211 261 301 309 310 311
Results 6,201 to 6,218 of 6218

Thread: A Study of One Piece Animation

Default Re: A Study of One Piece Animation

Your girl is dying of thirst from a lack of a new Yama'uchi episode. Casshern Sins was so damned good.
    Julie|She/Her|Bi|

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    He's barely directed on his own....Film Z was also a thing

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Even then, if he is different directorally then what's even the issue with that? For over a decade the One Piece anime dealt with the same type of direction for years and years and it became stale, same with the compositing. When directors like Komaki and Kureta really held their own in WCI and brought newer, more modern direction to the table, it was pretty clear where the anime should go and Nagamine does that excellently. Uda, Sakai and Miyamoto may have been great directors, but they weren't the best series directors. As someone who just rewatched practically the entirety of the anime before Whole Cake Island recently, I'm just happy we've had change. Plus as far as comedy is concerned in Wano so far, that falls more on the individual episode directors than it does Nagamine.
    I dont exactly get what you mean with the film z part. I'm not arguing about the compositing, its obviously far better now. I dont think i agree with Nagamine being the best series director tho. In any case, i realize that it was unfair to blame Nagamine for the writing and the potrayal of the characters.
    Last edited by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths; July 10th, 2020 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    I dont exactly get what you mean with the film z part. I didnt find film z that appealing tonally speaking. Character portrayal wise it was fine tho.

Im not arguing about the compositing, its obviously far better now. I dont think i agree with Nagamine being the best series director tho. In any case, i realize that it was unfair to blame Nagamine for the writing and the potrayal of the characters. Though its pretty obvious that there is a general shift in priorities when it comes to adapting the manga
    I just don't understand? Even action wise he's spectacular, better than anything the series has seen before. As good as Uda, Sakai and Miyamoto were, they never did nearly as much as Nagamine - and as far as sakuga goes it was mostly the production managers. Nagamine corrects the boards so both character animation and action is nothing like it was before, has seemingly opened up the gates for the hardworking production managers like Akahori to bring talent like Bahi JD and other webgens/freelancers within Japan and worldwide to participate and has brought upon a new level of aesthetic and direction to the anime that feels refreshed despite sometimes falling on the same shortcomings as previously which unfortunately can't be helped. He's brought such a unique visual identity to the series that not even Toshinori Fukasawa brought to it despite actively making the series better than anyone before him. I just don't see the reason why he's suddenly not good at all despite being extremely skilled in his craft, allowing him to do so much for the anime and reigniting interest in it. Sure there's the DBZ esque auras that some people aren't a fan of, but that hardly makes everything else that he's done lacking in any way. The issues you have are more so constants that permeated throughout the series in practically every series director's run, as you said Nagamine isn't at fault. Young talent is being actively promoted and given the chance to prove themselves, staff morale is at an all time high because of him according to episode directors like Yutaka Nakashima and there's big episodes at least every 10 weeks that use a ton of sheets because of how ambitious the staff and production is now.

Objectively speaking, he's the best and I feel like you're downplaying his achievements in favor of clearly weaker work.
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I just don't understand? Even action wise he's spectacular, better than anything the series has seen before. As good as Uda, Sakai and Miyamoto were, they never did nearly as much as Nagamine - and as far as sakuga goes it was mostly the production managers. Nagamine corrects the boards so both character animation and action is nothing like it was before, has seemingly opened up the gates for the hardworking production managers like Akahori to bring talent like Bahi JD and other webgens/freelancers within Japan and worldwide to participate and has brought upon a new level of aesthetic and direction to the anime that feels refreshed despite sometimes falling on the same shortcomings as previously which unfortunately can't be helped. He's brought such a unique visual identity to the series that not even Toshinori Fukasawa brought to it despite actively making the series better than anyone before him. I just don't see the reason why he's suddenly not good at all despite being extremely skilled in his craft, allowing him to do so much for the anime and reigniting interest in it. Sure there's the DBZ esque auras that some people aren't a fan of, but that hardly makes everything else that he's done lacking in any way. The issues you have are more so constants that permeated throughout the series in practically every series director's run, as you said Nagamine isn't at fault. Young talent is being actively promoted and given the chance to prove themselves, staff morale is at an all time high because of him according to episode directors like Yutaka Nakashima and there's big episodes at least every 10 weeks that use a ton of sheets because of how ambitious the staff and production is now.

Objectively speaking, he's the best and I feel like you're downplaying his achievements in favor of clearly weaker work.
    I dont downplay him. I already said that he's a powerhouse when it comes to production, he's a sakuga magnet and his action is great, probably the best along with Kureta. Animation wise one piece is without a doubt at its best right now. Tu Yong-ce alone pushes the animation standard to a ridiculous level. You make very good points as to why Nagamine is a superior series director production wise but i just hold other aspects in higher regard. In terms of understanding the characters and their relationships, as well as capturing the tone, especally comedy and drama, Uda and Sakai are simply better to me. Miyamoto is not on the same level but he's still very solid.
    So to sum things up, from a production standpoint Nagamine is the strongest series director, but from a narrative standpoint i prefer Uda and Sakai (mainly Uda). From a action directing/storyboarding standpoint, Nagamine is perfect for the more high-tier action and the others are better for the more comedic, over-the-top, low-tier action.
    Last edited by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths; July 10th, 2020 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    I dont downplay him. I already said that he's a powerhouse when it comes to production, he's a sakuga magnet and his action is great, probably the best along with Kureta. Animation wise one piece is without a doubt at its best right now. Tu Yong-ce alone pushes the animation standard to a ridiculous level. You make very good points as to why Nagamine is a superior series director production wise but i just hold other aspects in higher regard. In terms of understanding the characters and their relationships, as well as capturing the tone, especally comedy and drama, Uda and Sakai are simply better to me. Miyamoto is not on the same level but he's still very solid.
    So to sum things up, from a production standpoint Nagamine is the strongest series director, but from a narrative standpoint i prefer Uda and Sakai (mainly Uda). From a action directing/storyboarding standpoint, Nagamine is perfect for the more high-tier action and the others are better for the more comedic, over-the-top, low-tier action.
    Nagamine himself said that he puts emphasis on character interactions but whatever, to each their own - I feel like there's been a lot of flip-flopping but I'll stop here.

I figure this would be the place to ask this question but would you guys happen to know who the animators were on the Fujitora vs Zoro fight in Stampede and the meteor cut in One Piece Stampede?

Quote Originally Posted by Thdyingbreed View Post
    I figure this would be the place to ask this question but would you guys happen to know who the animators were on the Fujitora vs Zoro fight in Stampede and the meteor cut in One Piece Stampede?
    That was all done by Yuya Takahashi: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/114981

Hey everyone, just a quick question: Are there any differences between TV broadcast episodes and Japanese Blu ray releases (starting with episode 579)?? I know some studios would correct some animation and artwork mistakes/flubs in home video releases. Is this the case for One Piece as well? There is a video that compares two episodes (where some scenes from broadcast version are censored): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVChuO0HKk . So are there more examples of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Hey everyone, just a quick question: Are there any differences between TV broadcast episodes and Japanese Blu ray releases (starting with episode 579)?? I know some studios would correct some animation and artwork mistakes/flubs in home video releases. Is this the case for One Piece as well? There is a video that compares two episodes (where some scenes from broadcast version are censored): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVChuO0HKk . So are there more examples of this?
    Hey Twitch, I made those original videos. Instances of differences between the broadcast and home release are quite rare. Some examples:

Corrected animation such as Shanks having two arms and two models of Zoro on the same screen.
    Cleaning animation in opening sequences.
    Censorship such as Sanji being stabbed and Doffy being decapitated, along with general violence around those episodes of Dressrosa.
    Episode of specials where the staff were the animation was heavily rushed.

Wow, Nagamine literally got Yama'uchi to storyboard Episode #939. I wonder if Yama'uchi will be allowed to do his thing or not?
    Julie|She/Her|Bi|

One Piece upcoming episodes' staff:

Ep. 937:
    Episode director: Satoshi Ito (***1/2)
    Animation supervisor: Kazuya Hisada (***)

Ep. 938:
    Episode director: Yasunori Koyama (****)
    Storyboard: Akitaro Daichi (***1/2)
    Animation supervisor: Shuichi Ito (****)

Ep. 939:
    Episode director: Yusuke Suzuki (***)
    Storyboard: Shigeyasu Yamauchi (guest) (*****)
    Animation supervisor: Masahiro Shimanuki (**1/2)

Ep. 940:
    Episode director: Yutaka Nakashima (***1/2)
    Animation supervisors: Hirotaka Ito (****) and Eisaku Inoue (***1/2)

Okay, Shigeyasu Yamauchi? WTF!
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; August 4th, 2020 at 01:51 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Wow. Wano arc is truly blessed.

Seeing Yama'uchi is really surprising since his out-put isn't nearly what it used to be but I am just glad to see him working again. He's not the episode director for his own board, though, which is a shame, but I wonder if that is a new policy for Toei Animation? Only in-house episode directors? Well, whatever. It's a shame he isn't paired with a better animation supervisor, though.
    Julie|She/Her|Bi|

We got Yamauchi again, who's next? Kaizawa?

Shimanuki has really led a charmed life on One Piece since returning from Super, working on episodes with incredible staff and animators despite his own ability waning as time goes on. Yamauchi's more artsy-fartsy side seen in stuff like Casshern SINS and Dreameater Merry probably won't be very prominent here, but it'd be cool if he can still slip some more fantastical imagery in there.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Yamauchi's more artsy-fartsy side seen in stuff like Casshern SINS and Dreameater Merry probably won't be very prominent here, but it'd be cool if he can still slip some more fantastical imagery in there.
    I still hope that we can get an episode packed to the brim with interesting colors like your average Yamauchi episode. However, Yusuke Suzuki would have to pretty much outdo himself in order to achieve that, which is feasible imo, but considering how inconsistent of an ED he is I'd rather keep my expectations in check. His 865 and 922 stuff were quite nice, but it still pales in comparison to what Yamauchi can do.

There's the possibility that Tatsuya Nagamine's gonna closely monitor the episode since Yamauchi is his former sensei.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; August 4th, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    Seeing Yama'uchi is really surprising since his out-put isn't nearly what it used to be but I am just glad to see him working again.
    *reads link*

He was an Assistant Director on Transformers: The Movie in 1986??? Woooow. That hits me right in the feels.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    *reads link*

He was an Assistant Director on Transformers: The Movie in 1986??? Woooow. That hits me right in the feels.
    Yup! I don't know how the set-up worked with the credits and all that, so I'm not sure if he was an enshutsu, joenshutsu, jokantoku or what. Interestingly enough, Morishita Kouzou was also on that film as some sort of director (not THE director, though, that was Nelson Shin). Apparently the amount of drawings allowed on the film was so high that when Morishita moved over to be series director of Saint Seiya he got in trouble for using too many drawings and detailing the backgrounds too much. O.o
    Julie|She/Her|Bi|

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information