+ Reply to Thread
Page 172 of 172 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 170 171 172
Results 3,421 to 3,439 of 3439

Thread: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

  1. #3421

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    To be fair, this ALL sounds like a Toei issue.
    Sounds more like an issue with Toonami not wanting to pay for a series that despite being cheap to air, wasn't pulling in enough ratings meaning that it was not making them the profit that they wanted. They weren't losing money because of it, they just weren't making that much ad revenue off of it. It's all about money and it just seems like the show didn't make them a significant profit so they just decided to use the money for other things that would do better for them. They also had to give a portion of the ad revenue to FUNi so there's that too
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; March 17th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

  2. #3422
    I'm a bad boy! ;) Nitwit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Warship Island

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by playercena5241 View Post
    I thought Toei wants OP on tv.
    Well, Toei can be very stupid when it comes to their anime. Remember a certain basketball anime that was really big in the 90s in both Japan and Europe but not popular over here in the USA? Yeah.....

    This one's different since it's Pirates. But that depends if there's rules on what's allow on TV and what isn't.
    I'm NOT a doggy. I am a creature from another world.

  3. #3423

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    I exchanged One Piece for Tokyo Ghoul?

    Goddamnit...

  4. #3424

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    To add insult to injury, HULU is now dropping One Piece as well (well technically, they're dropping every Toei anime they have - citing they're expired).

    So yeah. No One Piece on tv. No One Piece on the two mainstream streaming sites (HULU and Netflix). Geez... now all we got are the niche anime streaming sites and the DVDs. No matter how you wanna look at it, this does not bode well for the series appeal in the US. Looks like the various companies who had a hand on the series are starting to give up on it, unfortunately.

    SOURCE : https://mobile.twitter.com/hulu_supp...ece-digimon%2F

  5. #3425

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    I feel the reason they removed it from Hulu is because they are trying to put it on Netflix.


    Remember they removed all of their shows on Hulu not just One Piece. Clearly they are working on something.

  6. #3426

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    I feel the reason they removed it from Hulu is because they are trying to put it on Netflix.


    Remember they removed all of their shows on Hulu not just One Piece. Clearly they are working on something.
    The reason they removed it was because the lisence expired and either HULU or Toei didn't want to renew it.

    I'm hoping Netflix picks it up, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. As it stands now, OP has no representation on any mainstream platform and that sucks. Hopefully that changes, but I dunno.

  7. #3427
    I exist...I guess....
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    A place

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRevolt View Post
    The reason they removed it was because the lisence expired and either HULU or Toei didn't want to renew it.
    Toei seems like the most likely answer here

  8. #3428

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRevolt View Post
    The reason they removed it was because the lisence expired and either HULU or Toei didn't want to renew it.

    I'm hoping Netflix picks it up, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. As it stands now, OP has no representation on any mainstream platform and that sucks. Hopefully that changes, but I dunno.

    All of their shows expired at the same time? weird. Toei is definitely working on something.

    I'm hoping Netflix picks it up too. If Netflix is going to pick it up the dub version has to be there. Mainstream audience don't like watching subbed anime.

  9. #3429

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    All of their shows expired at the same time? weird. Toei is definitely working on something.

    I'm hoping Netflix picks it up too. If Netflix is going to pick it up the dub version has to be there. Mainstream audience don't like watching subbed anime.
    I dunno. Toei has proven themselves to be incompetent. I'd sooner believe they just forgot they're various lisences were set to expire on HULU.

    At this point I'm not sure any company would want One Piece. It hasn't really proven itself to be a hit here. Quite the opposite, actually.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Also... it's insane length I think is seriously starting to damn it here.

  10. #3430

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Its not as big as dbz and Naruto, but its definitely a big hit.

    81+ volumes released, 516+ episodes dubbed and It's one of the most watched shows on Funimation and crunchyroll. The only place that One Piece had not found success here is TV, due to different reasons.

    How do you say its not a big hit?

  11. #3431

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    It's seems to do fine for FUNi since it is 500+ episodes in. Can't deny that.

    But as far as mainstream appeal, it doesn't have that much. It keeps being dropped from mainstream outlets.

    Jason Demarco, the head of Toonami, stated on his twitter that OP just isn't popular enough in America and that that's the hard truth. Which is why I don't believe any mainstream outlet would be interested in airing/streaming it. It's had many chances but it just hasn't caught on with the casual viewers.

    But in the end, it does well enough for FUNi, sales wise, so at least we'll have the DVDs... unless Toei does something stupid, which is entirely possible.

    Still, all in all, it's a shame. I feel if it caught on with the casuals, we'd have more perks when it comes to the dub... like a simidub of the recent episodes.

  12. #3432
    Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    At a desk, making something

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    The fact is with One Piece, you either start from the beginning or not at all, and it must be marathon'd (to some extent). That's why it never caught on on TV. They kept bringing it back in the middle of the series, so new viewers couldn't get into it, and it was weekly, so people lost interest due to pacing. Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and online streaming is ideal because everyone can just marathon from the beginning

  13. #3433

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Honestly I think for both formats fans are assuming the worst and not considering the bigger picture.
    One of the things that makes Toonami work is their ability to rotate several anime series throughout the year. They wrote themselves into a corner when they had multiple long runners on the block at once. Since most of the other shows have more established popularity it made sense that One Piece would be the one to go, now that puts Shippuden in the "death slot" position.

    With Hulu they're removing SEVERAL Toei titles including the Dragonball franchise and the newer Digimon Tri movies (Sailor Moon seems to be unaffected but I also noticed Viz is no longer adding the newer season dubbed on the site).
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

  14. #3434

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    The fact is with One Piece, you either start from the beginning or not at all, and it must be marathon'd (to some extent). That's why it never caught on on TV. They kept bringing it back in the middle of the series, so new viewers couldn't get into it, and it was weekly, so people lost interest due to pacing. Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and online streaming is ideal because everyone can just marathon from the beginning
    Which is odd, because many people feel due to OP's overall format that's it's not that hard to just join in right in the middle of it (compared to other shows, anyway).

  15. #3435
    Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    At a desk, making something

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRevolt View Post
    Which is odd, because many people feel due to OP's overall format that's it's not that hard to just join in right in the middle of it (compared to other shows, anyway).
    If you know the basic idea of the main characters, sure, you can jump in and get what's going on (especially due to flashbacks and yell/explaining what's happening all the time)
    But if you're a brand new viewer and you jump in at Water 7, you won't get the emotional depth of the scenes, and probably won't get "hooked", which is the problem

  16. #3436

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    The length is a huge barrier. if One Piece was shorter it would definitely be more popular.

    The only place that I can see One Piece work on tv is DisneyXD. Recently they've acquired Pokemon and it airs everyday, and they've also did a marathon for whole day. The only problem with DisneyXD is that the target audience is kids, therefore they need sensor a lot of the show.

  17. #3437

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    The length is a huge barrier. if One Piece was shorter it would definitely be more popular.

    The only place that I can see One Piece work on tv is DisneyXD. Recently they've acquired Pokemon and it airs everyday, and they've also did a marathon for whole day. The only problem with DisneyXD is that the target audience is kids, therefore they need sensor a lot of the show.
    Only problem is the beginning of OP already looks dated, which would put off the kiddies.

    Honestly, I think OP has had plenty of chances of finding a mainstream audience. More so than many other shows. I think it's time to give up on it ever finding appeal with the casuals. America just isn't that into it. Hopefully the dub is able to sustain itself. That's all I ask for... that it's popularity doesn't hit rock bottom so FUNi doesn't discontinue the dub. I think we'll be fine in that regard, at least.

  18. #3438

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    I mean does it even need to have a tv slot anyway? The series seems to do just fine as it is. Hell we even made it to the time skip!! There's no way that could be possible,and no way Funimation would throw away so much money at something that "isn't working".

  19. #3439
    Discovered Stowaway Supernova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Breast of Nami's

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

    One Piece ia working. Just not on TV.

    It would do amazing on a Netflix. It did well.on Hulu.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts