Closed Thread
Page 169 of 173 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169 170 171 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3444

Thread: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

Oh boy. Well, it looks like the opening has been edited as suspected. And I have to say, that... was not a good edit.

Default Re: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

Yep. As I said.

Sloppy edit, though. It shouldn't have been hard to edit down this song. -__-

This is bleh.

Well.... that's some bad news. Aleast we still are getting the dvd release for the series.

I'm legitimately disappointed, I really enjoyed having the show on TV, and watching it every week. Hopefully it may come back someday, in the not too near future. I was looking forward to Sabaody so much too.

They had a listing for the Sabaody Archipelago arc on my cable provider a week ago so it must've been a late decision

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I kind of wish that they cancelled it at the end of the Sabaody Archipelago arc, as if to suggest that's literally how the series ends for Toonami-exclusive viewers.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

This isn't the end of the series in America, just saying that before it gets in anyone's head

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Well.... that's some bad news. Aleast we still are getting the dvd release for the series.
    After seeing this news I can't help but feel this brings up several questions on the well being of Toonami as a whole. My immediate thoughts:

1. This definitely will impact the Western fandom and affect exposing new viewers to the show. Toonami was the BEST mianstream exposure the series could have gotten and while I'm glad they cycled through the anime's best material people who were already put off by it being too long will also use the excuse that it even failed twice on Toonami now.

2. I knew they had to pull something when the block became all long runners. They worked out the DBZ Kai and Super issue but you still have Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Gundam Unicorn, Hunter X Hunter and Shippuden dominating the block. I originally assumed Jojo was going to be the next "open" spot once Part 2 ended. With Gundam I felt another Gundam show would take it's place (IBO Season 2 being the likely contender, followed by Thunderbolt and Origins).

3. So we lost the Toonami airing and pairing that with the delay in the TimeSkip season being released I can't help be a little...concerned about the status on One Piece in America a bit. I wasn't worried when there was a break in the TV Series releases but Toonami was one of the major pushes to expose the show to other fans.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by o-chan View Post
    After seeing this news I can't help but feel this brings up several questions on the well being of Toonami as a whole. My immediate thoughts:

1. This definitely will impact the Western fandom and affect exposing new viewers to the show. Toonami was the BEST mianstream exposure the series could have gotten and while I'm glad they cycled through the anime's best material people who were already put off by it being too long will also use the excuse that it even failed twice on Toonami now.

2. I knew they had to pull something when the block became all long runners. They worked out the DBZ Kai and Super issue but you still have Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Gundam Unicorn, Hunter X Hunter and Shippuden dominating the block. I originally assumed Jojo was going to be the next "open" spot once Part 2 ended. With Gundam I felt another Gundam show would take it's place (IBO Season 2 being the likely contender, followed by Thunderbolt and Origins).

3. So we lost the Toonami airing and pairing that with the delay in the TimeSkip season being released I can't help be a little...concerned about the status on One Piece in America a bit. I wasn't worried when there was a break in the TV Series releases but Toonami was one of the major pushes to expose the show to other fans
    I sincerely doubt that it's even an issue, they called it one of their staples a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I kind of wish that they cancelled it at the end of the Sabaody Archipelago arc, as if to suggest that's literally how the series ends for Toonami-exclusive viewers.
    That would be hilarious!

I feel like One Piece kind of got screwed over a bit on Toonami, with it's timeslot constantly being changed, until it ended up at the super late timeslot it's currently at. And now One Piece is getting the boot. However,

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCaptainUsopp View Post
    They had a listing for the Sabaody Archipelago arc on my cable provider a week ago so it must've been a late decision
    this gives me hope that it's only on a temporary leave.

I doubt delay for Season 9 is due to this. The last several seasons, the new season of One Piece dvds usually comes out at the beginning of the Summer.

As I said; This isn't the end of the series in America, just saying that before it gets in anyone's head. We've still got the DVDs and simulcast
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; March 10th, 2017 at 07:41 PM.

This sucks, but it was on too late and the poor pacing of the past hundred or so episodes probably didn't help. At least we still have Crunchyroll and the DVDs, which are both farther ahead of the US TV airing and I'm sure people who have gained interest in the show through Toonami skipped ahead anyway.

I'd even go as far to say that One Piece being on Crunchyroll and Hulu does more to promote awareness of the show in the west than airing one episode at a time every Saturday night at like 2 or 3 AM on Toonami.

Kinda hate to say it, but this loss doesn't feel nearly as drastic as it did in 2008. Those were tough times, but a lot has changed in the past ten years. One Piece will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D. Luffy View Post
    This sucks, but it was on too late and the poor pacing of the past hundred or so episodes probably didn't help. At least we still have Crunchyroll and the DVDs, which are both farther ahead of the US TV airing and I'm sure people who have gained interest in the show through Toonami skipped ahead anyway.

I'd even go as far to say that One Piece being on Crunchyroll does more to promote awareness of the show in the west than airing one episode at a time every Saturday night at like 2 or 3 AM on Toonami.

Kinda hate to say it, but loss doesn't feel nearly as drastic as it was in 2008. One Piece will be fine.
    Exactly, I wish it was still on and had a better timeslot but its fine without it thanks to FUNi, Crunchyroll and Toei. Turner slept on a great series, two times now

Does Crunchyroll have the dub version?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCaptainUsopp View Post
    Exactly, I wish it was still on and had a better timeslot but its fine without it thanks to FUNi, Crunchyroll and Toei. Turner slept on a great series, two times now
    I dunno... I wouldn't say they slept on a "great series." They gave it a second chance and it didn't work out. I LOVE One Piece, but I feel that they passed the mark long ago where the show becomes really hard to watch week by week, especially to casual viewers. The show used to be on at an earlier timeslot, and gradually kept getting pushed back until it stayed in a graveyard timeslot. This tells me that even at a better timeslot, it didn't perform well enough to stay there. What I'm saying is I don't think the contemporary pacing and timeslot was suitable to pull in new viewers to the show properly-- it's much better suited for binge watching or streaming, because then you don't have to wait another week for 15-20 minutes of new content.

If it was on every weekday I'm sure it would have done a lot better.

If anything, this seems like a fitting point to stop. Toonami brought the show back with Foxy, and it's closing out with Foxy.

Plus it would've been difficult story-wise to pull it at any point after this for a good long while without it feeling like a slap in the face. Here, the viewer is left on a positive note, and are free to discover for themselves what happens next.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheng fu View Post
    guessing i am hit the homerun~!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D. Luffy View Post
    I dunno... I wouldn't say they slept on a "great series." They gave it a second chance and it didn't work out. I LOVE One Piece, but I feel that they passed the mark long ago where the show becomes really hard to watch week by week, especially to casual viewers. The show used to be on at an earlier timeslot, and gradually kept getting pushed back until it stayed in a graveyard timeslot. This tells me that even at a better timeslot, it didn't perform well enough to stay there. What I'm saying is I don't think the contemporary pacing and timeslot was suitable to pull in new viewers to the show properly-- it's much better suited for binge watching or streaming, because then you don't have to wait another week for 15-20 minutes of new content.

If it was on every weekday I'm sure it would have done a lot better.
    Yeah, streaming is becoming more popular than TV anyways

Closed Thread

Thread Information