+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Administrators vs Moderators

Default Re: Administrators vs Moderators

Fair enough. I don't remember them taking down any sites though. Why didn't they go after fansubbers or anything? It doesn't make sense for them to go after forums.
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

Maybe to create a monopoly on One Piece forums. Yes, I know it sounds really weird. It sounds really weird to me, too.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

Well they might well of done but some places like K-F ignored the threats, decided to keep going when they realised 4Kids wouldn't do anything, probably when AP decided to come back.

Huh and here I was all impressed that 4Kids didn't stoop that low when they had OP.
    Just you wait and see,
    Wherever you may be

The power to activate accounts, give out warnings, suspend accounts, and ban accounts. Is that power given only to the admins, or do the mods have that same power? Or maybe the mods have power in 1 or 2 of those examples?
    Last edited by NANLIT; June 2nd, 2008 at 07:05 PM.

as far as I know, all mods can do that... and by acticate I assume you mean activate and that's... probably admin if they have it set that way.
    Just you wait and see,
    Wherever you may be

Yes, I did mean activate. All mods can do what part, exactly? But only admins can activate accounts, right?

Alright.

A history lesson kiddies.

Arlong Park was a website created some time in 2002 I believe by Aftershock. Main site updaters included The Dude, EGX, Roboblue, and myself. The website mostly advertised K-F releases, RAW (Saiyaman) releases, and Chapter releases. It did have an extensive character bio guide, attack list (by The Dude) and episode summary area.

The Forum came later. Roboblue and I worked for Kaizoku-Fansubs at the time as well, along with Wanderer-Zero. We were all part of the same team and one day W-Z couldn't decide what to do with his vast amount of server space. So we made the first forum with it. I forget how many times the server switched. I think in total there were 3 Arlong Park forums over the course of 2003-now. Two of the changes were in the same year.

When everything started it was basically just the main site updaters and a couple of people who work for K-F running the forum. Dythim being one of those people. Oceanizer used to be the equivalent of Battle Franky. I can't remember if he gave us the links to the chapters but he definitely translated them for us week after week for a good year probably. We as administration took him in because he was a big contributer to the community here. He did great work so it wasn't long before we added him as an admin. The forum became pretty popular fast. We had a lot of people who checked the site often and joined. We had a lot migrate from K-F forums. And we had a lot move to the forums from our IRC channel on #Rizon. Since most of us worked for K-F back when we'd pump out on a regular basis, we were pretty busy and needed some backup. Outstanding regulars such as e1n, konis, Gurneel, bushido, SetaGinny, GoAnderson, and Pepsi joined the team. We made it a kind of tradition to add a couple of members to the staff each year. Other outstanding members like Taboo, Battle Franky, bevin, Zio, Roz, Cosmic Debris, and Carly followed not too long after. Cinder and Jonas22 have been around a long time too. I believe W-Z's server fell through eventually and Jonas provided us with the stable one we have today. Cinder if I recall correctly used to provide copies of the 4kids episodes back in the day for us to scratch our eyes at and did work for the site. I'm sure I forgot some people but I did leave for a while as some remember.

There's a lot of history in this place. The old site has kind of fallen apart, I'm not sure how much remains from the original one in this new one. Aftershock, the founder, has been MIA for years as far as I recall. The forum is pretty much the top American One Piece board around though. The only reason I'm back is that, now having spent time as an actual member, I see some changes that need to be done to keep this place as great and fun as it was in the beginning.
    Last edited by Randy1031; June 2nd, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    K-F|Jango

Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Beat View Post
    I guess it shows how much of a threat 4Kids saw your site as.
    That made your retarded lies worth it.

Thank you for all that info, Randy1031.

I seroiusly can't believe bad-beat went for that long just making stuff up. pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer-zero View Post
    I seroiusly can't believe bad-beat went for that long just making stuff up. pretty impressive.
    Oh? Then what really happened to make the forum close from December 2004 to February 2005?

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Why the sudden curiosity, NANLIT? Not thinking of pulling a Griffin and hijacking the forums, are you?
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I don't really remember. It was hacked, or had a huge glitch or something. I really think it was just because one of the servers flat out died.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

I disappeared for a period along with my server, which could explain that particular blackhole.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Why the sudden curiosity, NANLIT? Not thinking of pulling a Griffin and hijacking the forums, are you?
    No, just curious.

So, what was the REAL reason it closed the second time back in 2006? Same thing? And when exactly was it closed? Like May, May to June, etc. I can't believe I thought Bad-Beat was being honest.
    Last edited by NANLIT; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:55 PM.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

Boredom got the better of me.

lies can lead you to be banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy1031 View Post
    now having spent time as an actual member, I see some changes that need to be done to keep this place as great and fun as it was in the beginning.
    Excellent.

Learning from mistakes isn't in a lot of your guy's vocabulary is it?
    Just you wait and see,
    Wherever you may be

Let's see... the forums I remember in connection with the site prior to the current incarnation are:

http://web.archive.org/web/200412201...hp?showforum=4 The first Arlong Park forum I recall posting on as http://web.archive.org/web/200412282...p?showuser=173 shows.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502150...animemedia.org The replacement forum from Feb. 12, 2005.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/depotdepot A temporary resolution to the almost immediate crash of the replacement forum.

The Wayback Machine had quite a few of the old Arlong Park mainpages saved. Who was "matt" though? I remember Aftershock and most of the others are still around, but that name doesn't ring a bell.
    Last edited by Ubiq; June 3rd, 2008 at 01:29 PM.
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information