+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help creating a Wiki-Format

Default Need help creating a Wiki-Format

I need help in starting a Wiki format site basing on One Piece. Frist of all, as some of you find it hard to believe, it has nothing to do with revange but it has something to do with creating a website basing on this: http://www.chronocompendium.com

I have already sent E-mail to differant Wiki-based site like WikiMedia and MionMion but got no response so far, I created a One Piece Wikispace but still felt that I should create a public wiki domin.

Why I'm doing this? Because like One Piece, I wanted to create a site that olny I can write but will accept help later, I wanted to help carry on the legency of the series and I need an easy way to create this site so anyone is willing to help, please do so.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Default Re: Need help creating a Wiki-Format

dunno if you were already kicked out of this one

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

No, I'm still editing that site, it's just that I wanted to create a personal Wiki site like Greg (Yes, I know it's not wiki based, what I mean is that his site is personal but public. I wanted to run my own One Piece Wiki site due to my strong disare to write everything about One Piece).

Edit: and this is not new, this has been in my mind long before AP.net became a Wiki-format site, somewhere in early 2005.
    Last edited by joekido the Second; April 21st, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
    Currently writing a book

I don't know, having your own personal wiki site seems pretty selfish to me.

You try to make yourself a champion of One Piece, but we know who you really are:

I know someone who set up a personal wiki database on his computer for all his note-taking and RPG DM notes. It's pretty cool, and useful.

But I don't really understand a few things about your intent. You don't like Wikipedia's section on One Piece, or the Wikia on it? And this is why you want to make your own? And... you want to take the public element out of the Wiki format, so that only you can update it?

The question is then, why use a wiki format? Find yourself a database/framework system and build up from there. The idea of a wiki is to encourage/enable public domain.

Also, if you think you're going to successfully run a Wiki, you should be able to figure out how to get one up and running without having to ask people on a manga/anime fan forum. Unless, you're posting here because you want people to know about your noble efforts, in which case...

I wonder who it was that said the earth is a small place. -Eiichiro Oda

Anyone who is willing to help me design a website, please post but anyone who wants to mock me for fun, don't post.
    Currently writing a book

I'm not trying to mock you at all, I'm trying to give you some constructive criticism. Perhaps if you could justify your intent a bit better, I'd see some reason to give you some help.

Sorry if my post came off as mean in any way.

kosenki hit it right on the head. It says right there in the thread title: Wiki-Format.

Why have a wiki that only you can post in? That's pretty selfish.

Are you so desperate for praise that you want to try and replicate Greg?

Let me give you some good advice IF those are your true intentions...

Don't bother. It's really not worth the effort to invest time in creating something for a fanbase of people you probably will never meet in person. It's empty praise if you get it, but honestly your reputation has been shot to hell on this board and possibly others which was caused by some of your own actions along with the persistent trolling by certain individuals (which can be argued how much of it is unwarranted).

As you're already contributing to a wiki, what can a new site really bring to the table especially with exclusive content from Mr. Adrian Gomez?

Think about it.

Joekido, you've done a lot of things, but this is pretty high up there. Nobody will help you design a website, let alone integrate a wiki. The POINT of a wiki is to allow yourself to edit it. Some students may have a use for a private wiki, if only for the point of logging information to keep it all in one place. Arlong Park serves as a One Piece wiki, and the One Piece wikia you are already familiar with. Greg's site also serves as a database. Even if you got this up and running, and managed to update it regularly, you've just be considered a copycat, and are only seeking attention. Really, crying for attention is marking you to be ignored.

Take it from someone who also doesn't have the greatest reputation ever. Don't seek more attention. It's not going to help you.

Ok, maybe I pulled it off wrong here, let's clear it up

Gear Second- You and I had been locking our horns for some time but I felt that you don't have the right to justified my reputation like that because I have seen you acted immature at times and people yelled at you. Anyway if you want to help that's fine.

Ruwyn - I Wiki-format site will have someone helping out. Honestly, this Wiki is like AP.net expect that it's not this fourm's wiki but something like ChronoCompendium. So it's not going to be privite, if an One Piece fan wants to join, he's welcome to. BTW, check out this site: http://one-piece-sporkings.wikispaces.com/. I'm currently developing it and if it manage to have more staff and becomes an huge hit, I'll love to create a ChronoCompendium-like wiki site. If you want to join my Wikispace, your welcome to.

Kosenki - Your forgivin and yes it seems my intendant was to selfish. However I decided to use my One Piece wikispace as my starting point. Why I'm I doing this? I don't mind One Piece Wikia but there has been rash of vandels and there are less cooperations and poor management but I'm not going to push anyone there. AP.net is fine but only special kinds of people can go in, however my wiki can invite right people and have better management with worrying about vandels running around.
    Currently writing a book

"Rash of vandals" sounds like an exaggeration to me. I'm still quite able to use the One Piece wiki site to refresh my knowledge about some of the more intricate details of the One Piece universe, such as Jaguar D. Saul's former ranking in the Marines, or what Ace old Luffy about the Biblicard when he gave it to him.

Might you further explain what exactly these vandals at the One Piece wikia do to make the whole site worth abandoning? I mean, why make it exclusive, rather than step up moderation a little bit?

And, I can't help but notice there are a lot of misspellings on your wikispace page. "Refrances," "devided," "Midian..." seems like a site whose content is focused around information/text should be more careful with spelling. You ought to run your entries through a Microsoft Word spell check before you post them, so that you don't have to go back and fix them later down the line, when you have so much information you can't really handle keeping it updated on your own... in which case, other people might be taking care of your early errors, so maybe you don't have to worry.

I'm not going to leave OP Wikia, I'm still going to work there. I'll be working on 2 Wikis. And about the vandels, they don't appear much but they can get annoying at times, because they would pop up and destory your work, but with Wikispace you don't have to worry about vandels popping up. And yes my spelling and grammer skills needs a lot of work. I will be correcting my errors often.

But like you say other people can correct my errors, that's great, because teamwork is very importent.

Oh and I mostly had a habit of coping other people's data but in Wikispace, I decided to use my own words instend of coping other people's work. That's why I get errors often and I'm going to do many articles in my own words. That's a tough challage for me.
    Currently writing a book

I'm afraid I still don't see the point, as any Wiki is susceptible to vandalization once it becomes public. The success of Wikipedia is built upon diverse contributions from many different people. No single person has enough knowledge to write each article in full, unless they're some kind of supergenius, and/or wrote the book on each subject.

A selectively private wiki seems like it won't succeed, because there isn't a lot of promise that the information that needs to get in there will get in there. Plus, since you're already competing against other existing wiki's, your information will need to be extra awesome in order to be received well.

Take a look at zelda.wikia.com and zeldawiki.org

These are two wiki's that have the same subject, and are both equally competent as resources for Zelda fans. I have a difficult time distinguishing their information, but I do know that if I can't find one specific detail in one, I can probably find it in the other. It's annoying to have to search two sites, but I do because neither is fully comprehensive. One of the sites has higher resolution and a greater number of resource images, which is a huge huge help half the time I'm browsing these sites. I'm always on the lookout for good art that I can use for icons and wallpaper, and they tend to have the best resolutions for the official art.

Yeah, that's just an example of two competing wiki's, though I don't believe the communities actually butt heads... it'd still be better if whoever is responsible for all the awesome images on one of the wiki's to upload them to the other as well...

Rather than arguing with you pointlessly, I'll give you some info.

You'll need your own hosting, first of all. Once you have that it's a fairly simple process to install MediaWiki. If you don't want to pay for hosting, there are probably a few wiki hosts (obviously, Wikia) but you get what you pay for.

And while it's true that the intention of a Wiki system like MediaWiki is for the public to be able to edit it, it's fairly reasonable to use it as a private content management system if you're not proficient in coding.

If you want a private, easy to use Wiki, you can try this:

https://luminotes.com/

But it's not a public thing. Attempting to alone fill a wiki, keep information correct and up to date, collect information on debates and controversy related to them in the community, and keep everything grammatically correct, and keeping up a good appearance, it's just not something you can do by yourself. It also instantly means all information is biased in favor of your opinions.

If you want a private Wiki, nobody is going to care, but starting a privately edited mess of a wiki is just going to be a waste of time, and if you disregard everyone in this thread and try it, you'll lose what little reputation you have left, joekido.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information