+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Articulation... or lack thereof

Default Articulation... or lack thereof

I need help learning how to express myself properly.

Sometimes, I don't think what I'm trying to say comes across to everyone as it should, and ends up pissing off/offending/etc people, to the point where further communication becomes impossible.

As such, I need some general advice on how to properly convey my thoughts. It's been bothering me for a while now, really... I'm not naive enough to think I can please everyone, but I want to appeal to as many people as possible more positively, if you can understand that.

Maybe it's the casual nature of the internet, or maybe it's just my nature as someone with Hans Asperger's Syndrome... I'm not sure, but half the time I don't think I'm getting my message across. And it's funny, because I do my job impeccably. I can communicate with customers and tell them exactly how to do what they need to do to get their internet working. I can keep the conversation professional and courteous at the same time.

At work. But in casual/non-business conversation, I often fall flat on my face. Over the years, it's become easier for me, but I still often find myself creating akward situations.

So here's my question: What can I do to improve my articulation and appeal to a broader crowd? What methods have all of you found that helps you convey your message without being misconstrued?

It normally wouldn't bother me so much, but it's been on my mind for a while, and I could use some help.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Default Re: Articulation... or lack thereof

Does this have to do with just the internet, or in the real world? If it's the internet...don't take it so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    Does this have to do with just the internet, or in the real world? If it's the internet...don't take it so seriously.
    Well, it's a little complex...

In the Real World, I'm fine, normally. I can talk to people and communicate properly, even if takes some explanation. I used to be really bad at it; mostly because of my Asperger's, but partially because of the seclusion I put myself to. I've gotten a lot better, but even sometimes I'm asking myself questions I can't really answer.

As for the internet, it's the same way. I have something that's bothering me, but I can't quite put it into words. Mainly, it's because I have no idea exactly what it is.

I'm looking, basically, for help in collecting my internal thoughts and projecting them with the highest level of articulation. That's all.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

I feel the same way when I find myself repeating words instead of expressing properly my toughts in english.

Anyways, I'm a pretty straight forward person when I'm not offline.

I recommend you to take some seconds before posting and editing what you feel "wrong" afterwards if you actually care about how people online see you trough your messages.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information