31 12.65%

9 3.67%

8 3.27%

2 0.82%

2 0.82%

1 0.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: How many languages do you read/speak?

Default Re: How many languages do you read/speak?

English and Spanish.

Here we are, Windy summer! Oddball's Avatar

Just English and some Japanese (studied it for about 3 years). My goal is to be some sort of language interpreter.
    Credit to PendulumPisces for avatar.
    MFC | MAL

Only really English at this point. However, I have to get some languages down for my grad degree, and right now I'm taking French. I'll take German afterward. I'm only in French II, though, so I can't even remotely say I am proficient at it.

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions about Duolingo? As I have been using it to practise my Polish so I don't lose my first language since English sorta took as the main one due to me living in the United States.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - Unknown; Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown

On it's own duolingo isn't super useful. But as one aid among many it is really helpful. I try to mix up my French learning into fun segments to keep up my motivation, like i watch a tv show in french with french subtitles and try to follow along and jot down some words i didn't understand so that i can look them up, then maybe i crack open a book to do a few grammar exercises or any of the heavier stuff. Then you can do 15 minutes of duolingo exercises and wind down later by listening to french radio. And me and my girlfriend try to speak random french in our everyday life, like use the french word for an item or a food or whatever. I still suck hard at French but maybe i'll dare to speak to an actual Frenchman on our upcoming trip to Paris

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    On it's own duolingo isn't super useful. But as one aid among many it is really helpful. I try to mix up my French learning into fun segments to keep up my motivation, like i watch a tv show in french with french subtitles and try to follow along and jot down some words i didn't understand so that i can look them up, then maybe i crack open a book to do a few grammar exercises or any of the heavier stuff. Then you can do 15 minutes of duolingo exercises and wind down later by listening to french radio. And me and my girlfriend try to speak random french in our everyday life, like use the french word for an item or a food or whatever. I still suck hard at French but maybe i'll dare to speak to an actual Frenchman on our upcoming trip to Paris
    Ah, okay. Thank you for sharing your view. What I have been doing is keeping records of all the words I've learned, and wrote down the different forms so I can understand better. I also plan to practice doing sentences once I know a lot of words. Also, good luck on your trip to France! One thing I want to see there is the Catacombs of Paris besides the countryside.

Note: Polish is my first language, but over time I was losing it. Though I never got to learn how to read or write, just speak. It's interesting to learn more about my language, stuff that came naturally to me, had meaning behind it.

Signature:

Can read a few languages but don't ask me to speak them

Welp i just came back from Paris and i can happily report that i now can read a french menu without a single problem. Still struggle hard with pronounciation, especially with silent letters and all. Listening is hit and miss but with a lean toward miss. I hear and understand bits and pieces of conversations atleast. I'm thinking of maybe going for a study trip to France next vacation, but we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Welp i just came back from Paris and i can happily report that i now can read a french menu without a single problem. Still struggle hard with pronounciation, especially with silent letters and all. Listening is hit and miss but with a lean toward miss. I hear and understand bits and pieces of conversations atleast. I'm thinking of maybe going for a study trip to France next vacation, but we'll see
    Well, you made progress and that's the important part! I tried to learn French before, but the hard part for me is, how the sentence all flows together. Like the words change depending on what's behind or in front of it. I think it's also hard because I learned Polish as my first language, which sounds very tough-sounding, while French is more soft.

Also, one phrase I like to use in French --> Manges-tu fourmi au chocolat? Especially to people I meet online that are French

Signature:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information