Page 342 of 501 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 352 392 442 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 10004

Thread: Hunter x Hunter

Default Re: Hiatus x Hiatus

So you stopped before Yorkshin if i'm correct.

You must continue reading, it gets a lot better.

Thanks for clearing up a thing or two (like clarifying that interview bit), Greg. How's the misses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    And even if he wasn't talking about Togashi, even as a completely ambiguous statement, just the very idea that he would intimate that he's 'different' from others for working 'hard' blew the fucking LID off his critics. It's a very sensitive statement.

The question is, coming from the author of the highest and fastest-selling manga of all time, is it okay for him to say that now?

Five or even two years ago I don't think so. But now? He might still be a whippersnapper but I think he's earned the ability to.
    Yeah, regardless of who it might be referring to, the fact that Oda claims that he's on a different level is a huge statement in and of itself, and probably what people should be paying attention to instead of trying to guess "who"

Togashi's "schedule" is definitely frustrating, but I still think it's a good series. I just hope he's able to move on soon. I'd say "return to a weekly schedule" but I'm not sure if that's in the cards

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Tomorrow I ll catch up with this thing, I hope he doesnt disapoint me. Hiatus x Hiatus is the proper name
    人事を尽くして天命を待つ
    Link to my AMVs

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

It's still good, don't get me wrong. But I had a headache for a whole day after cram reading the last four or so volumes earlier this summer.
    A whole blizzard of insane narration focusing on minute details, then he kills one of the four main antagonists off panel.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

In those 12 orso chapters last released ,Togashi rly pushed it to a limit with telling us what the charas think every second and using ONLY inner monologues.
    But thats also the impression because that arc feels like it drags on forever.
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

That's a large part of the REASON it's dragging on, if he cut even half that stuff we would be much farther along in the plot.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Oh, well then I'll guess I'll accept you're stupid suggestion then.
    Wait no, that would be retarded.

Him being lazy is far more sensible then having writers block constantly for near years over the same exact battle.

No matter your aggrandization of it, Hunter is barely above OP in story complexity. None of the elements Togashi is playing with would warrant nine months of constant brainstorming. It's a laughable idea.
    Still just as stupid to assume he's being lazy. As sensible as it would be to assume that, we know absolutely jackshit about his health conditions (and perhaps his marital conditions? I can't remember if the divorce was confirmed), so no one's in the right to start making grandiose generalizations how about his ethic and then attack him based off of them.

If his idea of flow is over the top OCD analysis of what an anthropomorphic octopus is thinking trying to trap a walking lobster in an elevator then he is a shitty writer.
    Since when has viewing situations on the surface been a good way to judge the quality of a story. It's like reading a science fiction tale and saying THIS BOOK HAS ALIENS OMG SO RETARDED. So what if it's a fucking octopus and a lobster? Bringing that up doesn't lessen the credibility as him an author. And I'm glad to see you have this naive idea in your head that just because he decided to do a "fight" scene a bit out of the ordinary and go into detail of it, he's objectively a bad writer.

That's what you thought, but then I entered the room and stood exactly five decameters away from the door, which you realized changed the whole debate giving you exactly eight seconds to think of a new plan within the larger minute allowed by the impending magic boom boom powers of a mod, this changed your thoughts dramatically and altered your composure to a nervous one, causing you to exert sweat, which having noticed, caused me to smile. This smile meant that I understood your sudden issues, and in this understanding I realized I had four seconds to turn around and walk back two steps, twirl twice, recite the Magna Carta by heart, then pull back on the strings I attached to the door to avoid your counterattack. And then we both died because poison gas had been seeping in the room for the last five minutes prior to these realizations.
    I'm not going to say that his detail isn't ever tedious, but this is pushing it. In a situation like the breaking in of the palace, their thoughts would be rushing at an extremely fast pace. Concentrating on apparently OCD nitpicking in your eyes is also building the suspense and seriousness of the situation. But I guess since it's heavily detailed that it's trash, right? lol

It's overdone and would be completely terrible and stupid if it weren't fascinatingly insane. It's kind of like Outsider art at this point.
    lol. STORY GOES INTO DEPTH ON A SEEMINGLY INNOCUOUS EVENT; IT'S OUTSIDER ART

HYUCK HYUCK ID RATHER HAVE STALIN SENDING PEASANTS TO GULAGS THEN HITLER KILLING THEM
    Incorporating a psychological aspect to a manga is as bad as Kubo's panels of swirling dust...? What?

So......Killua once or twice and that was because his brother put a goofy magic needle in his head that we only learned about right after Killua found about it 21 volumes into the story.

Usopp abandoning the crew over Merry is ten times that.
    I was actually going to bring up the whole Usopp ordeal. What I like about Usopp is that, as Oda stated, he's so relatable.

And it's not just the Killua scene. Novu, Palm, Ikalgo and Meleoreon, to name a few, have all demonstrated realistic human qualities and responses to such a serious situation during this arc alone. I have no qualms with character's who just don't give a fuck when they run into a battle, but many of the characters in this series are extremely refreshing in comparison to most Shonen, much like Usopp's personality is to the rest of the Strawhats.

Show don't tell.
    And then, back to the narrow-minded conception that manga has to stick to this cookie-cutter, by the books style: show don't tell. Well, since so many people have done it before, we'd better always adhere to it I guess; no room for experimentation.

I hoped with the last chapters he finally ends that arc...but i guess he likes his insects.(and i rly thought that would be a short side arc..)

Seriously, 3/4 of the stupid narration during the palace assault comes down to Togashi not trusting us or himself to be able to show actions and emotions without literally explaining them in asinine detail.
    I agree with you that right now it`s overused, but normally he found a smooth way in using this inner monologues which are a really great method to bring us some charas(especially their thoughts why they react in a way) closer.
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan

we know absolutely jackshit about his health conditions (and perhaps his marital conditions?
    Not like I'm Togashi's biographer but last I heard he was still fawning over her and talking about their child. As far as his health, he's in ship-shape to log hundreds upon hundreds of hours into video games over short periods of time.

Besides being able to create AWESOME villains (aside from you-know-who), the other thing I actually respect about Kishimoto is that he finds time to draw an insanely popular comic and still watch the latest movies and play through the latest video games.

Regarding health issues, usually it becomes a public matter. Nana and Hatarakiman's authors both publicly acknowledged that there were health issues.

Although both of them publicly announced 'recovery' they later gave ambiguous, "But I don't know if/when I'll be able to return to work."-claims similar to what Togashi is/has done.

This is extremely frustrating coming from Nana's author who for years was drawing the most popular shojo manga only to come out of her illness claiming she wasn't sure if she 'remembered how to draw anymore'.

Wow.

Then you look at Oda who's married and has two daughters.

- How do you handle your family?

- They come to stay at the workplace once a week. I have two children and they’re adorable. (laughs) I want to spend more time with them and right now that’s really bugging me. As far as work is concerned that which is ‘cute’, is a nuisance. If it’s your friend or something, and you don’t see them because you’re busy it’s no big deal and they’ll understand but for my kids there’s just no way that applies.
    And lest we forget this bombshell from the same interview:

- So you’re a perfectionist.

- Only towards the comic. I’m really trailing when it comes to my private life. Yet again, I’ve only been home once this year. I’m busy so there’s no choice there really.
    When you consider this and look at how some others carry themselves, you have to wonder if he isn't totally justified in what he says.

This is why when a 4 issue break was announced I was shocked, but didn't really give a shit. The man worked for the first 4 or 5 years without a single break, he worked his ASS off on the 10th anniversary celebrations only to jump right into the mammoth task of handling Movie 10, and now he's going to do a time-skip which means a rehaul for every single one of the characters he's introduced over the past 13 years.

5 weeks halfway through the story is the least we owe him in patience.
    Last edited by Greg; September 9th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Shipmate

Justified? Oda can tattoo these words on his back.

And wait, 2 daughters? I thought his second kid was a boy.

I find that part of oda's life creepy and extremly unhealty.

What kind of true love can he find on Luffy, or his fans? I understand the need for a job, to do something to be remembered by, to be a perfectionist and to be admired. But dedicating that much ammount of time to a work? even if he's having fun and doing something productive that musn't be healty.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere along the line it was a girl because I remember thinking it was kind of sweet justice for him to have two daughters when he's as rigid in his ways as he is about 'shonen' crap.

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

That's what you thought, but then I entered the room and stood exactly five decameters away from the door, which you realized changed the whole debate giving you exactly eight seconds to think of a new plan within the larger minute allowed by the impending magic boom boom powers of a mod, this changed your thoughts dramatically and altered your composure to a nervous one, causing you to exert sweat, which having noticed, caused me to smile. This smile meant that I understood your sudden issues, and in this understanding I realized I had four seconds to turn around and walk back two steps, twirl twice, recite the Magna Carta by heart, then pull back on the strings I attached to the door to avoid your counterattack. And then we both died because poison gas had been seeping in the room for the last five minutes prior to these realizations.
    Nice read, detailed, captivating, I would't change a letter. I like it.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Just reflect on this for a moment.

Zephos, Carter and Aldrich in a thread.

It's like 2007.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Just reflect on this for a moment.

Zephos, Carter and Aldrich in a thread.

It's like 2007.

Good times.
    *nods approvingly*

So, since we're covering the opposites in terms of work ethic, what's the normal work rate for mangakas? A break per two or three months?
    You come at the king, you best not miss.

Seriously, 3/4 of the stupid narration during the palace assault comes down to Togashi not trusting us or himself to be able to show actions and emotions without literally explaining them in asinine detail.

There is no way around this. It's a comic book, not a novel.

Show don't tell.
    This was truly needed, there were too many character developments during this arc, and every decision someone took truly affects the outcome of the fight.

Overall, HxH characters are far more complex than any other shonen characters.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukishima View Post
    I like how unpredictable HxH can be, I like how the characters gives up some things they started, because they are unable to do it, or because they don't feel like doing it.
    Just like Togashi himself.
    "Drawing manga is so tiring...Let's give up, and play Dragon Quest."

Found the bitch. Now remember, I'm not here to shit on HxH. I have not read it and both Japanese and foreign readers whose opinions I value have smothered it in praise.

But Togashi himself is a world-class loser. Original post:
    http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1...postcount=6345
    Paraphrased Togashi's words of wisdom from his return this year before leaving again. (Numbers are JUMP Issue #'s):
    5/6- Happy New Year. Sorry I've kept you all waiting. My goal for this year is to write as much as I can.

LO-FUCKING-L

11- DQ9

13- DQ9

19- DQ9 (states he's been playing for 140 hours and is only Level 11)

20- Says he was busy reading JUMP and forgot to think of a comment

21/22- Says he visited his son's open house day at school and wishes he could start over from elementary school. Great role model/father huh?

What a guy.

Who couldn`t love such an exentric genius
    Great role model\father , huh?
    Seeing how bad he is in gaming...ehhm NO

I dunno if he's bad or incredibly fucking good.

I haven't spent 40 hours on DQ9 and I'm at the end. I don't know how a human could play for ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY and still be level 11. How the shit is he playing?

Thread Information