+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Thought I'd start one of these for good quotes. They can be from anything, books, movies, TV, general people, even people you know. If it's one you like, slap it up. Not sure about the age thing in here now, so let's keep it PG-13, okay? Some of mine:

“On a good day, Hellboy smelled like a dry-roasted peanut.?
    --Mike Mignola
    the one line he ever wrote for a Hellboy short story

"Oh they'd break the whole world if they thought it'd make a pretty noise."
    --Nanny Ogg, Lords and Ladies
    by Terry Pratchett

"A person who is nice to you, and then rude to the waiter is not a nice person."
    --Dave Barry

“Normally at a time like this I'd ask you for advice, and you'd say something that would make no sense at all, but somehow it would all fit together. Like, I would tell you, "Sir, I have a problem," and you'd say, "Well, what is it?" and I'd say, "Well, sir, Lisa wants to have a baby, but she doesn't want to get married," and you'd say "Dave, why milk the cow when you have a fridge full of steaks?" And I'd say, "Sir, that makes no sense," and you'd say, "Well, it sure made sense when that guy Chuck Connors said it in that movie Chinatown," and I'd say, "Sir, Chuck Connors wasn't in Chinatown," and you'd say, "Dave, if I wanted to have this conversation I'd have hired that guy Siskel Ebert to do your job," and I'd say, "Sir, Siskel and Ebert are two people," and you'd say, "Dave, just because the man is fat is no reason to make fun of him." “
    -- Dave Nelson, “Newsradio?

“The moon is so beautiful. It's a big silver dollar flipped by God. And it landed scarred side up, see? So He made the world.?
    -- Two-Face, some Batman comic I don't have

"I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art."
    --Kahlil Gibran

"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough."
    --Bede Jarrett

“This is truth the poet sings,
    That a sorrow's crown of sorrows is remembering happier things.?
    --Alfred Lord Tennyson

"The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one."
    --Albert Einstein

"I'd say you hit like a girl, but I'M still standing."
    --some girl I don't know, after kicking a guy’s butt

"People gather bundles of sticks to build bridges they never cross."
    --???

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
    --???

“Happiness is like peeing in your pants; everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.?
    --???

"You are all individuals!"
    "YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"
    "I'm not!?
    --Monty Python’s The Life of Brian

"...Do you ever think of yourself as actually dead, lying in a box with a lid on it?...Nor do I, really...It's silly to be depressed by it. I mean one thinks of it like being alive in a box, one keeps forgetting to take into account the fact that one is dead...which should make all the difference...shouldn't it? I mean, you'd never know you were in a box, would you? It would be just like being asleep in a box. Not that I'd like to sleep in a box, mind you, not without any air - you'd wake up dead, for a start, and then where would you be? Apart from inside a box. That's the bit I don't like, frankly. That's why I don't think of it...Because you'd be helpless, wouldn't you? Stuffed in a box like that, I mean you'd be in there for ever. Even taking into account the fact that you're dead, it isn't a pleasant thought. Especially if you're dead, really...ask yourself, if I asked you straight off- I'm going to stuff you in this box now, would you rather be alive or dead? Naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all. I expect. You'd have a chance at least. You could lie there thinking - well, at least I'm not dead! In a minute someone's going to bang on the lid and tell me to come out. 'Hey you, whatsyername! come out of there.'"
    --Rosencrantz, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
    by Tom Stoppard

“It's all right - I'm demonstrating the misuse of free speech. To prove that it exists."
    --Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

“I feel like a spectator -- an appalling business. The only thing that makes it bearable is the irrational belief that somebody interesting will come on in a minute..."
    --Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead

“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.?
    --Victor Hugo

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.?
    --Albert Einstein

“Sex is. There is nothing more to be done about it. Sex builds no roads, writes no novels and sex certainly gives no meaning to anything in life but itself.?
    --Gore Vidal

“Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.?
    --Groucho Marx

"Do not regret growing old; many are denied the privilege."
    --???

"I didn't know you could stop being a God."
    "You can stop being anything."
    --Delirium and Dream, Sandman: Brief Lives

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    --???

"Don't make love by the garden gate, love is blind but the neighbors ain't."
    --???

"Champagne for my true friends and true pain for my sham friends!"
    --Tom Waits (I think)

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.?
    --Rebecca West

“From hell's curio cabinet, I peer at thee! From the suburban maw of bourgeoise horrors, I stare at thee!?
    --Ugly Rooms for the Beautiful People

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
    --Douglas Adams

"I know you little, I love you lots,
    my love for you could fill ten pots,
    fifteen buckets,
    sixteen cans,
    three teacups,
    and four dishpans."
    --???

"Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside us."
    --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"You learn to love, not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."
    --???

"Childhood is long and narrow, like a coffin, and we do not get out of it without help.?
    --Tove Ditlevsen

“Oh HELL no! He’d probably kick Swiss Miss in her box if he ever got hold of her.?
    --my friend Zanne on whether Sanji would own powdered cocoa

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

This is one subject that would require a lot of thought on my part to give a real, true, full answer. If I were to list out all the lines I've loved over the years I would be at this all day (trying to get this done during my lunch break). These are a few snippets that fit well with me and my personal philosophy.

The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret - The Truth by Terry Pratchett (re-re-re-reading now)

I would have more, I would drink more, I would eat more, I would take more, I would love more, I would live more, I would give more, I would use more So much more, oh so very much more - Hedonistic Gene by Inkubus Sukkubus

A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz. - Bogart

And there is no doubt that one day he will be where the eye of his telescope has already been - Kevin's Telescope by The Gathering

Memory sometimes makes merciful deletions - HP Lovecraft

I turned my face to god, but his face was turned away. Lost in the ozone, nothing left to say. - Lost In the Ozone by Motorhead

When all you have's a hammer, all you see is nails. When all you have's a hammer, and when all else fails, hit the nails! - Parasight by Entombed

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men. - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please. - John Wayne

And I should care what you think why? You're not me, you don't matter. - normyk in one hell of a bad mood - self-quotation, not a good sign

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. - Thoreau

Imagination is more important than knowledge... - Einstein

Everything you can imagine is real. - Picasso

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

*quotations is the noun. quote is the verb.

"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." -Kurt Vonnegut

"Be Yourself" is about the worst advice you can give to people. - Mark Twain

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra. In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra"
    -- Fran Lebowitz (1946- ;American writer)

"If you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog" -Anne Bonny

children, beware of the baobabs! - The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

A conclusion is the place where you got tired thinking. - Martin H. Fischer

"If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire catalogue."
    -Sears, Roebuck, and Co, Consumer's Guide, 1897

"God invented man, and man invented the metric system." -Salvador Dali

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since.
    -Dali

"My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all."
    Stephen Hawking

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time--a tremendous whack.
    --Sir Winston Churchill

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
    --W. Somerset Maugham

now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. -life on the mississippi

That last one is my senior quotation

Pirate Age (Under Construction)

Tash

"Count only on yourself, tomorrow and you will be rewarded" Chinese cookie I ate one day.

Originally posted by Tash@Feb 14 2005, 02:13 PM
    "Count only on yourself, tomorrow and you will be rewarded" Chinese cookie I ate one day.
    [snapback]2309[/snapback]
    One time a fortune cookie told me that I was going to die.

Pirate Age (Under Construction)

Tash

Originally posted by VildaHawk+Feb 14 2005, 10:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VildaHawk &#064; Feb 14 2005, 10:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tash@Feb 14 2005, 02:13 PM
    [snapback]2309[/snapback]
    One time a fortune cookie told me that I was going to die.
    [snapback]2311[/snapback]
    [/b][/quote]

Holy shit&#33;&#33; Good thing it wasn t poisened&#33; >_< But I only ate one chinese cookie and that was what it told me&#33; I like it cos it s exactly what i think and it give me strengh&#33;

Discovered Stowaway

"Life is no fun if you are held down by ropes. It&#39;s up to you to cut those ropes"-Great Teacher Onizuka live action movie
    my CD, THE GLASS, is now available on the iTunes Music Store!!

You can also get it from CD Baby
    Become my friend on
    myspace!!

gurneel

Something I beleive in and try to hold true to.

&#39;Love doesn&#39;t just sit there, like a stone. It has to be made like bread, remade all the time, made new.&#39;
    ~Ursula K. Leguin

Butt-stitched pantherman JudasChrist's Avatar

Originally posted by gurneel@Feb 14 2005, 03:37 PM
    Something I beleive in and try to hold true to.

&#39;Love doesn&#39;t just sit there, like a stone. It has to be made like bread, remade all the time, made new.&#39;
    ~Ursula K. Leguin
    [snapback]2384[/snapback]
    Good one&#33; I agree too&#33; :lol:
    Let&#39;s see...

"Masturbation is a lot easier to do than relating to someone," says Patton. "It&#39;s like playing a video machine. You can relate to a machine a lot easier than a human being. You can just pound yourself for hours and hours and not think about it. With sex, no matter how great it is, there&#39;s always something missing." I ask Mike if he masturbates any less now that he has legions of girl fans eagerly offering themselves to him. "Not at all," he responds. "The only difference now is that I masturbate in front of people. There was this girl in Philadelphia--I hung out with her all day and we ended up in my room. I ended up masturbating while she watched." Safe sex? "No, not at all. It&#39;s entirely different. Masturbation is like this little knot I have inside of me that I can&#39;t untie."
    -Mike Patton during an interview

"If we move next door to you,your lawn will die."
    -Lemmy

"Opinions are like butt holes:Every man has one for his own."
    -Dirty Harry

"A song writes itself"
    -Buddy Lackey

"We are the pulse of the maggots"
    -Corey Taylor

"The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it.
    Finding beauty in the dissonance.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
    Embrace this moment. Remember. we are eternal.
    all this pain is an illusion."
    -Maynard Keenan,2 quotes/lyrics

"With red we paint our fantasy until it breathes with might"
    -Sotiris V.

"Lick it and by part of the legion
    Swallow it and become a colour
    Shit it and become blank again
    Eat it again and you&#39;re dead"
    -??????
    Sorry dude, signature rules. 200 pixels tall, 500 wide maximum.

cult!

"You like Chinese Food" from a fortune cookie i got once. i swear to god lmao.

Originally posted by normyk@Feb 14 2005, 01:29 PM

[snapback]2286[/snapback]
    I completely agree. ^_^

Originally posted by normyk+Feb 14 2005, 10:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(normyk &#064; Feb 14 2005, 10:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Everything you can imagine is real. - Picasso
    [snapback]2286[/snapback]
    [/b]

Originally posted by PirateFetus V.2@Feb 14 2005, 11:45 AM
    "Life is no fun if you are held down by ropes. It&#39;s up to you to cut those ropes"-Great Teacher Onizuka live action movie
    [snapback]2330[/snapback]

<!--QuoteBegin-gurneel
    @Feb 14 2005, 12:37 PM

~Ursula K. Leguin
    [snapback]2384[/snapback]
    [/quote]

God those are great. Well here&#39;s some I&#39;ve always found thought provoking and entertaining...

"You may say I&#39;m a dreamer
    But I&#39;m not the only one
    I hope someday you will join us
    and the world will be as one." - John Lennon (from the song Imagine)

"God is like a shamrock. Small, green, and split three ways." - Eric Idol (movie: Nuns on the Run)

"A wise man embraces the silence. A fool can be heard for miles." - Gen (game: Street Fighter Alpha 3)

"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." - Ernest Hemingway(sp?)

"I don&#39;t need a reason to help someone." - (I don&#39;t remember)

"Wolves are loyal to family and friends above all else." - Terry Bogard (anime: Fatal Fury 2)

"I takes an idiot to do cool things, that&#39;s why it&#39;s cool." - Haruko (anime: FLCL)

(that&#39;s all I can think of right now. I wish could put more that were at least half as good as the others. Oh well these mean something to me so there.) B)

Ah, I have a list of favourite quotes cooked up on a list so far for any future reference. So, here&#39;s a few of my favourites (non-One Piece except for one) I guess:

"The world may be about money, but that&#39;s not all... If you truly put up a fight... Something will break down and give way." - Endo Kenji, 20th Century Boys (Chapter 90: Real Fight)
    (I hope stephen doesn&#39;t mind quoting of his scripts.....)

"Give a kid a smoke, and he&#39;ll be happy for a day. Teach a kid to smoke and he&#39;ll be happy for a whole shortened lifetime." - Onizuka, GTO (Volume 18)

“You always say you love thunderstorms, so what&#39;s a few raindrops between friends?? – Tai Kamiya, Digimon

"Why you gotta keep the fan on &#39;high&#39; when it&#39;s cold outside? Just want to let you know that I&#39;m still a fan, get it?" - Eve 6, "Promise"

Zoro&#39;s teamwork speech from episode 102.

"This is Squall speaking. This is an emergency, so listen carefully. We&#39;re going into battle against Galbadia Garden. Cafeteria team, collect all the hot dogs and store everything in the secret shelter. Don&#39;t leave anything for the enemy." - Squall Leonhart, Final Fantasy VIII

There&#39;s more, but I&#39;m too lazy to list the rest.

I LOVE moviequotes. :D

"Why spiders? Why couldn&#39;t it be &#39;follow the butterflies&#39;?" - Ron - Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets

"Why are you wearing glasses?" - Draco Malfoy
    "Uhh... Reading." - Harry as Goyle
    "Reading? I didn&#39;t know you could read." - Draco Malfoy - Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can&#39;t do. For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man or you can&#39;t. But pirate is in your blood, boy, so you&#39;ll have to square with that some day. And me, for example, I can let you drown, but I can&#39;t bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesies, savvy? So, can you sail under the command of a pirate, or can you not?" - Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Caribbean

"A wedding? I love weddings. Drinks all around. " - Jack Sparrow - PotC

And that&#39;s it for nooow.

..::<3::..

Marred

"Of COURSE I&#39;m sane&#33; The voices told me so&#33;" - (I forgot who.. :( it wasn&#39;t anyone I&#39;ve heard of anyway)

Heh heh heh. Heh. Okay, having watched a brilliant show for the first time the past couple days, I have a couple more. Gosh I love Spaced. Wish Bravo&#39;d hurry up and start airing it again.

Bilbo Bagshot: What about the Ewoks eh? They were rubbish. You don&#39;t complain about them.
    Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... f*ckin&#39;... Shaft.

"I see my ex girlfriends. Well, not so much "see" as "watch"..."
    --Brian

"You&#39;re scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese."
    --Tim

Brian: Do you think I should lose the waistcoat?
    Tim: I think you should burn it. &#39;Cause, y&#39;know, if you lose it, you might find it again.

Brian: Her real name&#39;s Ian.
    Tim: What do you mean, her real name&#39;s Ian?
    Brian: She&#39;s non-gender-specific.
    Tim: Oh what, you mean like a tranny?
    Brian: [Smiles] More than that.
    Tim: [Scoffs] What, a big fat tranny?

Tim: We can’t refer to each other with our real names so we’re going to have to use codenames. I’m Han, Mike, you’re Luke, [points at Daisy] you’re Leia, Brain, you’re Lando, Twist, you’re… Jabba.
    Twist: Was Jabba the princess?
    Everyone else: Yes&#33;

Marsha: The fruit of my loins has f*cked off to topshop with the housekeeping.

Daisy: "... we ate our bodyweight in Twiglets and you punched an artist in the face."
    Tim: "Shit&#33;" *looks worried. A moment passes* "I&#39;m not supposed to have Twiglets."
    Daisy: "Why not?"
    Tim: "They make me violent."

Brian: What&#39;s that?
    Tim: Tomb Raider 3.
    Brian: She&#39;s drowning. Is that the point of the game?
    Tim: Depends how you&#39;re feeling really.

And here are some from another of my favorite shows, Firefly, which is great and you should really check it out. Hint hint. It&#39;s a sci-fi western action comedy drama... thing. Yeah.

Jayne: [reading Simon&#39;s diary] "Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy... Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Mal: Kaylee, what the hell&#39;s going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?

Zoë: Shepherd, isn&#39;t the Bible kind of specific about killing?
    Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area of kneecaps.

Wash: Psychic? Sounds like something out of science fiction.
    Zoë: We live on a spaceship, dear.
    Wash: So?

Wash: Little River just gets more colorful by the moment. What&#39;ll she do next?
    Zoë: Either blow us all up or rub soup in her hair. It&#39;s a toss-up.
    Wash: I hope she does the soup thing. It&#39;s always a hoot, and we don&#39;t all die from it.

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you&#39;re going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Mal: You know, they tell ya to never hit a man with a closed fist but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Tripped over a couple of classics the last couple of days. Good stuff.

No reason to play it any way but my way. - Marv - Sin City
    I get confused some times. - Marv - Sin City

There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
    The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What&#39;s up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don&#39;t think so. My glass was full&#33; And it was a bigger glass&#33; Who&#39;s been pinching my beer? - Terry Pratchett - The Truth

Art is CPR for the soul - unknown

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

I&#39;ve been doing a lot of travel lately, so this one has been on my mind from the film Airplane&#33;:

"Attention ladies and gentleman, this is the stewardess. I know alot of you are worried, but I assure you that everything is ok and there is no reason to be alarmed... and by the way, does anybody know how to fly a plane?" B)

P' Cinq

in this world ,if you joined gangster ..all you need ..is Guts ..Don&#39;t Talk ,Just fight ,think the case after you do , don&#39;t talk too much ,we&#39;re no more kids ......

"All your base are belong to us"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information