+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 141 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Default Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Gainax's new series.

n the future, people are digging holes in the ground. They build houses and have domestic animals there. They have been living secretly fearing occasional earthquakes and roof-falls for hundreds years. Jeeha is one of such villages. One day, a boy, Shimon, is digging holes to expand their village. He happens to find a small shining drill. On the other hand, Kamina is a guy who believes there is the ground over the village, and he made a gangster to break the ceiling to get out from the hole.

In those days, the ceiling falls down due to an earthquake, and a big robot falls.

Kamina becomes sure that there is a world over them. Then, to be reckless, he begins to fight against the robot. At the moment, someone also comes from the above. It is a girl Yoko with a rifle in her hand. She is following the robot. However, only she can do is to keep the robot from going. Then, Shimon shows what he found in the ground to Kamina and Yoko. It is a mysteries robot whose body is only a face.

Intro: http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=53165
    Last edited by Advent`; March 31st, 2007 at 10:31 PM.

Default Re: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Though I doubt I'll see it for a while, there's something I already like about the design of this. A super-robot series with a more FLCL/Abenobashi style than Evangelion could be my thing.

I saw some pictures of episode 1 the series looks good

Kamen Rider OOOs

Gurren Lagann isn't getting the attention it deserves. Where the hell are my good subs?!? Not this Nyoro~n shit.

What? Fansubbers hate great manly anime?

That's the reason i'm not watching it yet. No good subs :(
    He spent fifteen years getting loaded | Fifteen years 'till his liver exploded | Now what's Bob gonna do now that he can't drink? |

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Anime version of Motherload/Dig Dig? Nice. Gainax artwork? FAIL.

Will not see.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Looks interesting

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Saw first two episodes. Pretty damn fun, with awesome animation and sound to carry it along.

If it doesn't start taking itself too seriously any time soon this could be a winner in my book.

I want to see this because it seems like a fun robot series. I think I've come to the conclusion that the reason I disliked the mecha genre for a while is most of what's out there is boring, super-dramatic, miltary robot stuff. Stuff like Eureka, Eva and 90% of Gundam is what I mean.

I've watched a few of the SUPER ROBOT like series (G Gundam, Giant Robo) and really enjoyed them. I also want to check out the Tetsujin-28 series that was made a couple of years back.

Ground the what now?

Well, if it's HQ animation + robots - "balancing the values of love and sacrifice in space," I guess I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky
    Bad move, bub!

The series does carry a fair bunch of obligatory clichés, like fanservice and cute MASCOT CHARACTERS® (i.e. Gainax).

I liked it regardless, but just to issue a fair warning on what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Anime version of Motherload/Dig Dig? Nice. Gainax artwork? FAIL.

Will not see.
    Not enough expressionless long-nosed white-haired fags for you to write overly verbose fanfiction about, huh

Or maybe it's the lack of a board game as a central theme

Oh well, your loss. Anyone with half an eye for good direction and awesome animation is going to love this. Three episodes in and I'm totally hooked. Kamina is RAD, and the overarching plot (Simon, the kid, becoming the biggest badass in the universe by way of Kamina teaching him the ways of MANLINESS) looks like it is shaping up to be nothing short of epic.

And Carter's got it right; these super serious military robot shows like Gundam and Eureka 7 are just gigantic quasi-shojo yawnfests. I'm stoked to see the MANLY SPIRIT of the old 70s super robot shows coming back into vogue with stuff like this, Gaogaigar, the new Jeeg/Getter Robo, etc. It's more in line with shonen sensibilities, which I think a lot of folks on this board could definitely appreciate.

DA CRIME OF THE CENT'RY Captain Kaze's Avatar

Hey, don't talk crap. Akagi was a great series, man.

anyway,
    The first 3 episodes of this are great. I hope it remains as awesome as it's been.

J-WALKING

None of the RAWs for this show are showing up on youtube, and that makes me sad.

DougyDougyGiro!*

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post

I've watched a few of the SUPER ROBOT like series (G Gundam, Giant Robo) and really enjoyed them. I also want to check out the Tetsujin-28 series that was made a couple of years back.
    Is it the one were it has a Von Fogler look-alike?

I heard it has some of the same characters as Giant Robo too.

That's because Giant Robo's character designs were taken from the other series by the original mangaka of Robo. In that sense, it was kind of an amalagram of his works.

For example, Mask the Red (one of the BF's Ten) had his own manga series, Sunny the Magician was from an old shoujo manga called Sally the Magician, Kenji Murasame comes from Tetsujin-28 as well, and a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

DougyDougyGiro!*

That's because Giant Robo's character designs were taken from the other series by the original mangaka of Robo. In that sense, it was kind of an amalagram of his works.

For example, Mask the Red (one of the BF's Ten) had his own manga series, Sunny the Magician was from an old shoujo manga called Sally the Magician, Kenji Murasame comes from Tetsujin-28 as well, and a bunch of others I can't remember right now.
    Oh I knew that I remember reading about this.

Kinda like what Osamu Tezuka did with his characters.

So how long is this series gonna be?

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zongcai View Post
    Not enough expressionless long-nosed white-haired fags for you to write overly verbose fanfiction about, huh
    Graves have been dug. :|

Oh well, your loss. Anyone with half an eye for good direction and awesome animation is going to love this. Three episodes in and I'm totally hooked. Kamina is RAD, and the overarching plot (Simon, the kid, becoming the biggest badass in the universe by way of Kamina teaching him the ways of MANLINESS) looks like it is shaping up to be nothing short of epic.
    GL follows in the steps of Code Geass by having a seductively original premise with nice animation, but ultimately turns out to be utterly commonstock by episode ten or so and eventually falls into a "had a lot of potential but ultimately fell flat on its face".

Of course, low-brow, appeal-all entertainment would usually get at least one view from me, but there's three reasons I'm abstaining from the show.

1. It looks ugly as heck. How "smooth" a show looks on television isn't really a factor for me, I just care about artwork. Sometimes animation is really important, as in OP Movie #6, to make a point of something, but usually animation and anime are oxymorons in my brain.

2. It's Gainax. I personally don't really have anything against the studio, but like a lot of companies I tend to dislike the fanbase that pisses me off with their overhyped, pristine praise of any show, no matter how "limited" the appeal may be. A good critic of anything should be able to point out the flaws in a show and not feel bad when something he/she likes gets criticized.

That's one of the reasons I get a ball out of bullying the so-called "One Piece fans" abroad; they can't take criticism of the show and automatically assume someone is trolling when they say something negative. It's like prodding a mad cow with a fire-hot poker in a corral!

3. Fanservice. I don't really like it, and GL sounds like it has a ton.

And Carter's got it right; these super serious military robot shows like Gundam and Eureka 7 are just gigantic quasi-shojo yawnfests. I'm stoked to see the MANLY SPIRIT of the old 70s super robot shows coming back into vogue with stuff like this, Gaogaigar, the new Jeeg/Getter Robo, etc. It's more in line with shonen sensibilities, which I think a lot of folks on this board could definitely appreciate.
    SIGNED. Most modern mecha anime are utter false-philosophical, angst-ridden garbage.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I haven't seen it yet, but I think the more recent Tetsujin-28 series was also directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa (of Giant Robo and G Gundam fame). So I'm hoping it will be as good as those.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information