+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Lupin the 3rd

Default Re: Lupin the 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    Yeah Cosmic, it was confirmed earlier in the thread that that episode was indeed translated under the title "Hell Toupee." As long as we're all thinking of the episode where Lupin steals "Hetler"'s toupee.
    Nonono, that's not the one I meant. The one I'm talking about was called "To Be or Nazi Be," and it involves Lupin dressing up as Hitler in order to trick a senile old Nazi into telling him where Hitler's treasure stash is. Or something.

Maybe it was eventually brought over on the DVDs, but I remember hearing that the reason it never aired on Adult Swim was because Pioneer never dubbed the episode, not because Cartoon Network refused or anything.

I did see Hell Toupee on Adult Swim, and that one was awesome. I liked how they escaped in a giant Hitler balloon.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

They did add "To Be or Nazi Be" on later volumes. I wanna say volume 5, but I know that's wrong. I know it's mentioned on Wikipedia, so if you're curious, check there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    Nonono, that's not the one I meant. The one I'm talking about was called "To Be or Nazi Be," and it involves Lupin dressing up as Hitler in order to trick a senile old Nazi into telling him where Hitler's treasure stash is. Or something.
    Ah, I see, I don't remember that one. That's strange that they allowed one about Hitler but not another.

I would like to get more of the Lupin movies on DVD. I wanted to see "The Fuma Conspiracy" since it had more focus on Goemon, and the art style reminds me a bit of Cagliostro, but I don't know about the quality of the movie. Anyone have recommendations?

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

ive seen it Cosmy, and its decent enough even tho i never cared much for the silent samurai always thought he was at his best when he was a low key background char, but still its just normal silly Lupin fun with great action scens(particularly the car chase), the only real downside is that they are for some reason using horribly mis-matched substiute VAs but if you can live with that go ahead and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Ah, I see, I don't remember that one. That's strange that they allowed one about Hitler but not another.
    Maybe it's because Lupin OH GOD DRESSED UP AS the actual Hitler, whereas Hutler was just a goofy parody. Or something. It's dumb either way.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    ive seen it Cosmy, and its decent enough even tho i never cared much for the silent samurai always thought he was at his best when he was a low key background char, but still its just normal silly Lupin fun with great action scens(particularly the car chase), the only real downside is that they are for some reason using horribly mis-matched substiute VAs but if you can live with that go ahead and buy it.
    Huh, I thought the substitute seiyuu did a decent job, nowhere near as good as the originals but still a decent substitute.

...Unless for some reason you're talking about the English dub version, then yes, those voices are terrible.

Yeah, I recall the substitute VA...but wasn't Lupin's original VA eventually permenantly replaced more recently?

I can say that Jigen form the anime and from the Castle movie sound different.
    is it because they use different voice actors for movie dubbing?
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Are you talking about Japanese or English? Their Japanese voices are the same, but the English dubs are different. In fact, there's a few different dubs for Lupin. There's even two different English dubs for Cagliostro...or is there three? I have the second one, I don't particularly like it so I stick to the Japanese. Now the Lupin series as shown on CN, that was dubbed by Pioneer/Geneon. And some of the movies are dubbed by Funimation. I like both Pioneer's and Funimation's dubs.

but wasn't Lupin's original VA eventually permenantly replaced more recently?
    Yes, that's right. Yasuo Yamada, Lupin's original VA since the first TV series(yes, the very first show, not the one that aired on Adult Swim in the States, that's the second series) from 1971, passed away in 1995. Another, younger actor named Kanichi Kurita took over afterwards and has been Lupin ever since.

Are you talking about Japanese or English? Their Japanese voices are the same, but the English dubs are different. In fact, there's a few different dubs for Lupin. There's even two different English dubs for Cagliostro...or is there three? I have the second one, I don't particularly like it so I stick to the Japanese. Now the Lupin series as shown on CN, that was dubbed by Pioneer/Geneon. And some of the movies are dubbed by Funimation. I like both Pioneer's and Funimation's dubs.

the red jacket sries Jigen and the Castle of caglistro jigen voices
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

What?

English or Japanese.

What?

English or Japanese.
    English versions
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Well, I answered the question in the post you quoted. Yes, totally different studio, completely different actors for all characters, not just Jigen.

Ohhhh, I didn't realize that you meant the secret Nazi gold thing. Sorry for the mixup. It definitely does exist in English, and I can transfer it to you if you want it. I actually have a screenshot somewhere from that scene where Zenigata falls out of the bus window and salutes the Nazi guards.

My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Reverse the polarity! Senshi Mizaka's Avatar

I remember seeing a copy of The Fuma Conspiracy at Suncoast. But, they called Lupin "Rupan", which I guess is an understandable mistranslation.
    Rappin' Chopper:

"Yo; I was a reindeer livin' out in 'da snow! But then this old geeza' doctor brought me into his home! After healin' my wounds, I felt real phat. Then, old docta' Hiruk gave me this blingin' hat! My family beat me, shunt me, but it's all tight. Because I'm doin' my doctor remedies all night. I look like freak with my Human Human fruit. But now I'm with some gangsta' pirates who like to steal loot! All the girls like my blue nose. Yeah; it's the way that I get the *Record scratching*. Usopp's the guy with all 'da glory. He's my main man with all his tight stories. Zolo's Santoryu skills are on ice. You betta' watch out, or you gonna get sliced! Sanji's the cook servin' up the main dish. Don't mess with him, unless that's your wish. Luffy's 'da captain with the straw hat! His Gum Gum skills are real real tight. Vivi's the princess of Alabasta. Now we gotta head there, and we betta' do it faster!"

We are just that damn maji Dragon Warrior Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    Yeah Cosmic, it was confirmed earlier in the thread that that episode was indeed translated under the title "Hell Toupee." As long as we're all thinking of the episode where Lupin steals "Hetler"'s toupee.
    That's a completely different episode. I believe the Hitler episode was "Nazi to You" or something.

Yeah, we've figured that out.

There are a ton of Hitler/Napoleon references all over the anime/movies/specials. Give me a break here.

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi Mizaka View Post
    But, they called Lupin "Rupan", which I guess is an understandable mistranslation.
    Nope, it was a legal matter, actually. AnimEigo signed an agreement when they first licensed "Fuma Conspiracy" and "Golden Treasure of Babylon" back in the 90's, and at that time the Leblanc Estate was cracking down on use of the name "Lupin", so they instead opted for a literal romanization of "Lupin"- "Rupan." Despite "Lupin" coming into the public domain at one point in time, they were still binded by contract to stick with "Rupan" for the DVD release.

However, the new release of "Fuma Conspiracy" from DiscoTek(who also released the live action Lupin movie) will use "Lupin," thankfully.

Phew...

Anyway, I thought I might as well post a link to my Mamo comparison thing now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cawxg0axHTU

Though now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that was the best scene to do, but eh, I can always throw together another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior View Post
    That's a completely different episode. I believe the Hitler episode was "Nazi to You" or something.
    Actually, it's "Hitler's Legacy" or "To Be or Nazi Be" in the Pioneer dub.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information