Page 1 of 104 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of One Piece anime...In America! FUNIMATION TAKES OVER!

Default The Future of One Piece anime...In America! FUNIMATION TAKES OVER!

Sorry, couldn't resist the Bandit Keith reference.

I am continually updating this thread with info that firecrouch sends me, since he can't edit this post himself.

Update! Alright, so FUNimation has One Piece!
    The only thing left to do now is to contact Toei and let them know how you feel about certain name changes.
    You may also want to try and contact FUNimation regarding the dubbing process, or Cartoon Network regarding edits for TV.
    http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=contact

Toei contact:
    http://www.toei-anim.com/contact
    there it is and:

2029 Century Park East, Suite 422
    Los Angeles, CA90067 USA

-Update on contacting Toei Animation: I noticed that when this whole thing first started, Toei Anim. Inc.'s contact page took a while to load, but the next day it didn't. Then I found out people couldn't tell if it was working or not. Earlier this week I called the L.A. office to inquire about this, and found out there will be a new website set up next month, with a fixed-up contact page. I didn't manage to get all the details, like whether it would be a totally different website or a revised version of the current one, and what the exact date of its debut would be. I did, however, run across this:

http://www.toei-anim.net

- Update on contacting Toei Animation: I called the L.A. office again to find out about this supposed new website. There's no exact date for it's launch, but when I asked if next month is just a target date the guy said, "Yes." The address will still be http://www.toei-anim.com, and he told me that there's definitely a new website in the works and told me to keep posted on it. So let's wait till February; if it's not up by then or if there's no contact page or problems with it, we'll find out about it. In the meantime I suggest that everyone still use other channels of contact. I know I've warned against actually calling by phone in the past, but now that I think about it it might not be such a bad idea. I won't give the number away, but I'll just say I found it through a little common sense. The only real probem is you don't know who you'll get on the phone, so for whatever reason you may call just try to get the name of whoever's job it is to answer your particular type of query for future reference. Just don't call as a shy and umprepared person; you don't want to sound like an idiot.

In the meantime, you can still use the postal address for Toei Animation's L.A. office, but you can also use the Japanese addresses that Quexinos has provided on her website:

TOEI ANIMATION OHIZUMI OFFICE
    2-10-5 Higashi Ohizumi, Nerima-ku, Tokyo 178-8567, Japan

TOEI ANIMATION SHINJUKU OFFICE
    58 Yokodera-machi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0831, Japan

(Remember to use more than one stamp for sending letters to Japan, and get details from your local post office.) Also, when using the postal service add a topic to your address so the letter is more likely to not get thrown out, like "One Piece" or "Toei Animation/ One Piece".

I also found this:

kazahaya@toei-anim.net

ashibe@toei-anim.net

(from NATPE exhibitors' information on Toei Animation Co., Ltd.)
    Main phone for Shinjuku office: +81 (3) 5261 7619
    Main fax for Shinjuku office: +81 (3) 5261 3875
    General E-mail: ruriko@toei-anim.net
    URL: www.toei-anim.co.jp/english (Note: contact page isn't working their either)

I also got this from a Toei rep. at the L.A. office months ago: endo@toei-anim.net (I don't know if it's right since it's based on memory and I lost the paper I wrote the e-address on months ago, but I'll try it anyway like I should have months ago.)

I plan to create one long letter and send it to all available addresses and sources to make sure it gets through. I recommend that everyone else do the same.

-Contacting Toei Animation (continued): I don't think I need to say this, but when writing to Toei, be polite. There's a difference between constructive criticism and bashing. Being opinionated is valid for this kind of letter, but don't be biased. Try to go beyond the main points of your argument to provide lots of evidence and comments on your view. Don't just think of why 4Kids "One Piece" was wrong for you, but why it was wrong in general, and what the overall best route is for the series.

- Contacting Eiichiro Oda: I mentioned in a few posts here and elsewhere about how I recently sent a fan-letter to Eiichiro Oda. In addition to writing the usual stuff like praise for his work and asking stupid questions, I talked about our "plight" and asked if he could help fans like us. I have absolutely no idea if it would have an effect (I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't), all I know is that Oda-san is the creator of the original "One Piece" and that he's less "politically-minded" than the people who run Toei Animation. I got the address because of an editor's edit within the SBS Corner of Viz's edition of "One Piece" Volume 12. Here's what it says on page 92:

Eiichiro Oda/One Piece
    c/o VIZ Media, LLC
    P.O. Box 77010
    San Francisco, CA 94107

If you plan to contact the man who gave us another good reason to be alive, remember, it's a fan-letter. Don't just mail him to talk about how 4Kids ruined the "One Piece" anime for English-speaking fans and caused it to fail, and how things should be fixed. If you do include this stuff (again, include it, not base the whole letter on it) just be happy you might make Odacchi become aware of the controversy if he wasn't previously. I'll at least be happy about that even if he isn't on our side. I'd like to contact him more directly, so if anyone can get the SBS address, the Shueisha address, or anything else along those lines I'd greatly appreciate.

- Conventions: Please feel free to conjure up and implement ways to get the people who matter to possibly come to other similarly-significant conventions like Otakon and any of the Comic-Cons or any others.

http://www.otakon.com/default2.asp
    http://board.otakon.com/

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/
    http://www.comic-con.org/common/contact.shtml

http://nycomiccon.com/App/homepage.c...appname=100453
    (I'd post direct links for the Contact Us and Ask The Show Manager sections, but they're too damn long. You can find them on the New York Comic-Con site.)
    http://forums.anime-expo.org/index.php?showtopic=4450
    Threads:
    http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=111158
    http://forums.anime-expo.org/index.p...opic=4273&st=0
    http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=10981

And a new one about inviting Toei to AX: http://forums.anime-expo.org/index.p...0&#entry170808

-Call Toei Animation L.A. like I did: It's the "least safe" route you could take and the riskiest one out of those I've already mentioned, but if you're confident, go for it. I won't say anymore unless you PM me.
    Last edited by CosmicDebris; April 20th, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

I found these Useful,

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=8377&page=159 When to Contact Toei on Phone

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=8377&page=154 Fire Crouch's Story

EDIT: Sorry I couldnt get links to the posts.

Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar

Hopefully, One Piece can get another chance in the US, and we may very well save it. Hopefully.

It doesn't deserve to die because of 4Kids' doing.
    Everything was all for nothing

I'll be sure to make some posts here, but in the meantime I've got some things to do. Also although my story started on page 154, I began posting on page 151, if anyone's interested.

By the way, how can this thread become a Sticky? I really don't know, I'm new to this sort of thing, however this thread deserves it. And has anyone thought of making a "Save One Piece" page on MySpace? It could really help; if that were to happen I've already found some good buddies to add to a list.

I can sticky it, it may not need to be stickied if people keep posting to it.

A myspace page isn't a bad idea, I would friend it if it existed.

Back from the dead

Of course, we can always burn down 4Kids if anything happens.

We could always sent letters of complaint to 4Kids as well.

I'm hoping FUNimation picks it up really soon and dub the rest of the series which will be a great profit.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pants-eater View Post
    Of course, we can always burn down 4Kids if anything happens.

We could always sent letters of complaint to 4Kids as well.
    What would burning down 4Kids do?

And we all know 4Kids doesn't care about complaint letters.
    Everything was all for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    I'm hoping FUNimation picks it up really soon and dub the rest of the series which will be a great profit.
    4Kids would have to drop the liscense first.

Might I suggest we try and come up with a unified list of suggestions? Like, what exactly do we want? Do we want new voice actors? Do we want the original sound track? Do we want any of the current English VAs to stay?

This way, if we all e-mail/call/send carrier pigeons to Toei or whoever else we're going to send stuff to they have a better idea what we have in mind for One Piece instead of a flurry of conflicting suggestions.

Well Lisa Ortiz (Chopper) and Marc Diason (Zoro) definitely need to be kept as VA's. Robin's VA can stay too if she loses the Texas accent.

Brawl FC: 3823 8204 8139

I'm hoping OP can have a good future in America. With so much
    dub-haters here, we may be able to save it.

Maybe we can mail Toei and 4Kids, telling them all the wrong decisions they
    made with One Piece and give them suggestions to make it better.
    Like which VAs should stay, and which VAs should be changed.
    Convince them to make less edits, and keep the original soundtrack.

And, sadly, I think Kahn maybe right. Kids today don't read.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Dixxy Mouri View Post
    4Kids would have to drop the liscense first.
    According the conversations a couple of members had with Toei reps, Toei can take 4kids license away if they want.

Might I suggest we try and come up with a unified list of suggestions? Like, what exactly do we want? Do we want new voice actors? Do we want the original sound track? Do we want any of the current English VAs to stay?
    On the issue of the voice actors, if we want someone other than 4kids to do the dubbing, they won't be keeping any of the current VAs because of location. They are one of the few on the east coast. Whatever company does it, decides on the studio.

So what do we really want? Yes, definately original BGM. More reasonable edits, less "caricature" like acting with more attention to the original VA's...no unecessary name changes, no mangling of characters...

So let's get a run-down of the major characters:

Luffy:
    Zoro: 1 Stay
    Nami:
    Usopp
    Sanji:
    Chopper: 1 Stay
    Robin: 1 Stay w/modifications

My two-cents: After viewing some stuff on YouTube:

Luffy: You loose, good day sir.
    Zoro: All right. He can stay.
    Nami: Not bad but could be better.
    Usopp: Bye.
    Sanji: Gone.
    Chopper: Meh. But I admit to being a Lisa Ortiz fan so she can stay. Big Chopper's voice needs to go.
    Robin: I actually don't mind the accent. But I have a soft spot for southern accents.
    Vivi: Adieu.

Hmm. Granted, I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of dub actors' work, as I don't watch a lot of dubbed stuff, but there are some decent ones out there. I remember Kirby Morrow being decent enough, at least in terms of keeping things low-key, but I can't really think of anyone he'd be a good choice for. Maybe Shanks, but I really couldn't say. Never really heard him do comedy. I liked the cast for FLCL, I thought they did pretty decently, and a lot of the cast for Hellsing (minus Crispin Freeman and K.T. Gray grated after a bit), Andrew Philpot's decent, but again, not sure who he'd be other than supporting cast.... damn, most of the people I've heard have only done drama, I have no clue how they'd handle the sheer gobs of goof in this show. I'm no help. ^^;
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Zoro, Chopper, and Robin (minus accent) definately work for me. Veronica Taylor does alot of stuff all over so she might be workable to keep as Robin. Marc Diraison is a fan of One Piece so he may be willing to stay attached to the title. Lisa Ortiz I'm not sure about.

If the hypothetical dub gets made, I'd enjoy if Cartoon Network would bring it back to Toonami. It's right at home on Toonami where a wide variety of audiences can access it (Also, as evident with POT and Naruto, they have no qualms about keeping original openings now)

One suggestion about potential re-rub:
    - if whatever company that gets One Piece wants to test it out and see if there is a market for it (like Viz said, they're unsure if there's an audience) then they should consider online content like Toonami Jetstream (used by Toonami as a test-out area for PoT and MAR) OR they could try a test-run like Adult Swim did with Crayon Shinchan (and after only a month, the AS boards were swarmed with praise and requests to bring the show on full time)
    ArticUNO ZapDOS MolTRES!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, I never noticed that!

I dunno, it sounds grim. It's gonna take a company with a lot of balls that wants to put some serious money into a project that's already shown to fail once in the US.

I mean, even if I magically was given a humongous wad of cash, I dunno if it would be worth it just because it already has a certain image and it would take working from scratch to not only shed off the old image, but make it worthwhile.

I mean, it's not like 4Kids didn't try to support it, I freaking saw an ad for it in a preview for a movie at my local theater so...yeah. That's not the issue, it's in the delivery.

The big question is....even if they deliver an awesome dub, is there an audience for it? Furthermore, if they successfully destroy the old image, is the 'original' OP something US fans are really looking for? For us that's a no-brainer. I mean, we already know that OP is as deep as a hole to the center of the earth but some people just....don't care.

Why is Naruto more popular? Because it's good for an ADD society like America that likes lots of shit flashing and making noise. Something like OP that is each and every week developing into a deeper and deeper story is, in their eyes, just 'way too long'.

In other words, if some company DOES pick it up, I have teh r3sp3ct for them to teh 3xtreem. Seriously. It's a huge and expensive task.

To be honest, I've pretty much completely given up hope of there ever being another English dub. I kind of doubt that anyone will pick it up because of how much of a miserable failure it ended up being.

Manga sales in the US might influence it as well. I have no idea if they actually do or how the manga is selling here, it's just a little speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    And has anyone thought of making a "Save One Piece" page on MySpace? It could really help; if that were to happen I've already found some good buddies to add to a list.
    Well, I run the Monkey D. Luffy page on there (www.myspace.com/strawhatluffy) and I've got little over 1300 friends so I could get the word out from there. I wouldn't mind running it too, unless you would rather do that or have something cooked up already mate.

Oh yeah I forgot, the guy I talked too also mentioned Cartoon Network... I don't really remember why I think he was just thinking of people fo rme to contact.. so ... we should write to them too maybe.
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

(Well, under the assumption that One Piece will get a re-dub at one point in the future...)

So many options, so much potential...

FUNimation

The company once reviled as much as 4kids during the early days of Dragon Ball Z doing a complete 180 to provide us with some excellent dubs. Right now, FUNi is my favorite company. These guys definitely win production wise, just take a look at Fullmetal Alchemist. Great actors, great writers, great interactions with the fanbase, These really seem like the best guys to handle the show. If this plays out correctly, then it truly will be the second coming of DBZ.

Viz

A company of mixed views. Some good, some bad, some unfathomably hateful, but in my eyes, decent. They may not be the best, but if the Naruto dub tells anything, they're slowly getting there. And while the overall production may not be quite as good as FUNi, It's hard to deny that they're in the best shape financially to take over One Piece. With the two mega-hit shonen series under their belt (Naruto and Bleach) getting One Piece would be the icing on the cake for them. Uncut/bilingual is certainly a garuntee here, as well as the possibility of a reasonably priced, 13-episode box set, as seems to be the trend with Naruto and Price of Tennis.

Illumitoon

Now this one is new to the industry, but it has quite some potential. It's founded by three former executives from FUNimation, who also worked on some of their shows like Blue Gender and Yu Yu Hakusho. They're based in Fort Worth, so it would be a surprise if didn't hear any familiar FUNimation voices. As far as production goes, I'm hoping for the best, but we won't find out until later this month, when their first dub of Beet:The Vandel Buster comes out. On a side note, these are the guys who are doing the distribution for the Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo DVDs.

Media Blasters

Wanna see a new, better dub of One Piece, but you still wanna keep some of the New York VAs? Let MB take care of that. If Berserk tells me anything, its that MB can really get the best out of the actors. And that would be a good idea, Marc Diraison will always be one of my favorite VAs, and he did a great job as Zoro too. And not just Berserk, but alot of people really seem to like dubs such as Gokusen and Magic User's Club. Same studio and all. The chances might be slim to none though, seeing as though a lot of the stuff they do are short (and a few, eh...mature) series. Although they did a respectable job with Kenshin. Who knows?

I could think of some more overviews, but I'm kinda tired right now...

Thread Information