Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 2063

Thread: The Future of One Piece anime...In America! FUNIMATION TAKES OVER!

  1. #61

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by Private Zulen View Post
    Gum Gum was always great to me, but it's still really childish as opposed to "Gomu Gomu no". With "Gomu Gomu No", the voice actor can get really into it and make it a fierce battle cry, but you can't really transform "Gum Gum" into anything menacing. I've even tried. No dice.
    I disagree. Watch the German dub. It has suparb acting and when Luffy (Ruffy) says "Gum gum orkan(storm)" you can tell he means it. Even his gum gum sounds menacing

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMvvOt2bXU if you're curious
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

  2. #62
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by Quexinos View Post
    I disagree. Watch the German dub. It has suparb acting and when Luffy (Ruffy) says "Gum gum orkan(storm)" you can tell he means it. Even his gum gum sounds menacing

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMvvOt2bXU if you're curious
    I see...

    This is actually my first time watching the German Dub, and I've actually heard some pretty great things about it. That editing with Crocodile was terrible, but they kept the music. Although those voice actors were bad with the grunting.

    Well, I have to admit, the "Orkan" sounded very menacing but I couldn't help myself but to chuckle when she said "Gum Gum".

    Still though, we're talking about what sounds more menacing correct? Fake scream right now how you want Luffy to scream. Don't say "Gum Gum", and pray you're alone in your house. If you turn down the volume when he screams at Croc, you can see for yourself if the Voice Actor actually screamed with passion, they could make that scene even more amazing than the Japanese.

    I've always thought that the names took away from the realism of the fights, and while the show itself is not realistic, I still think that they made the fights a little bit more "Pikachu! Use Thundershock!"--ish.

  3. #63
    Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    I actually didn't think Dub Luffy did too bad on the "Gum-Gum Storm" yell.
    Everything was all for nothing

  4. #64
    Discovered Stowaway gogoedward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Francisco

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Den Den Mushi = Phone Phone Bug (roughly)

    Denwa is phone, which is where the Den Den part comes from. And Mushi is bug, but it can be used for snail (which is obviously what they are)
    ArticUNO ZapDOS MolTRES!!!!!!!!

    Holy crap, I never noticed that!

  5. #65
    Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    What does "Transponder Snail" mean anyways? I've always wondered why 4Kids named it that...
    Everything was all for nothing

  6. #66
    エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanGod View Post
    I prefer Gum Gum.
    I like the name "Gadus" but "Gedatsu" is correct, and in the same way Gum Gum is wrong. Do not give the "archaic" translation arguement since that doesn't hold water at all; terminology is archaic because it isn't appropriate for the time and age in which it is being used. It's now offensive to call someone a "negro" even though fifty years ago it was perfectly acceptable. It's archaic/outdated, just like Gum Gum.

    Rubber Rubber is superior because:

    1. It actually explains what Luffy's body is instead of the odd liberality of implying he's a gummy man. Oda is very specific with Devil Fruits and elements; Mr.1 is not a steel man, he is a blademan, and Mr.3 is not a wax man, he is a candleman. Such identifications make it easier to tell where some of their powers come from, and why some powers were omitted from them.

    2. It has two syllables, just like Gomu Gomu.

    3. It does not sound childish.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

  7. #67
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    It actually explains what Luffy's body is instead of the odd liberality of implying he's a gummy man. Oda is very specific with Devil Fruits and elements; Mr.1 is not a steel man, he is a blademan, and Mr.3 is not a wax man, he is a candleman. Such identifications make it easier to tell where some of their powers come from, and why some powers were omitted from them.

    It has two syllables, just like Gomu Gomu.
    I didn't even think of their names, and I didn't even think of the lip movement.

    I just think the only strange part with "Rubber Rubber" is that it just seems out of place... well... I can't really describe it.

    To be honest, I would be happy if they just kept it "Gomu Gomu No" in the Dub.

  8. #68
    Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    No, but to me... Rubber-Rubber just sounds like... Well, I'm not going to lie... It sounds like crap to me.

    I just prefer Gum-Gum, even if it's not as appropriate as "Rubber-Rubber", which to me, just sounds awkward as all hell.
    Everything was all for nothing

  9. #69
    エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Rubber Rubber is a cooler term, but the issue of taste for this matter is most likely because people are going with the translation they first encountered. RomanGod probably aquired a liking for Gum-Gum through the dub; Zulen through the sub. My first experience with "Rubber Rubber" was the first translated OP chapter on MSN Group #1, even though my first exposure to Luffy's attacks was through the 4Kids dub.

    Disregarding taste, though, the reasons I pointed out still stand no truer than when I first posted them.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

  10. #70
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by Private Zulen View Post
    Well, the biggest question to me, one that will ultimately detirmine everything is whether or not the dub will be for kids.
    If there is a new dub it shouldn't be for kids. It should be for everyone.

    And before we get sidetracked and talk about what the possible dub should be like or whatnot, we need to talk about one thing at a time. Right now what's important is spreading the word, because if we really want to make a big difference we can't just limit this operation to this forum and Quexinos' website. So please, let's keep things organized, shall we?

    I really want to discuss MySpace, because I think it has a lot of potential. Two people on here have already offered to work on it, so what are everyone's thoughts?

  11. #71

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    I don't like "Rubber Rubber" It sounds stupid, I prefer "Gum Gum" it sounds better, I'ts shorter and it sounds closest to "Gomu Gomu".

  12. #72

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I dunno, it sounds grim. It's gonna take a company with a lot of balls that wants to put some serious money into a project that's already shown to fail once in the US.

    I mean, even if I magically was given a humongous wad of cash, I dunno if it would be worth it just because it already has a certain image and it would take working from scratch to not only shed off the old image, but make it worthwhile.

    I mean, it's not like 4Kids didn't try to support it, I freaking saw an ad for it in a preview for a movie at my local theater so...yeah. That's not the issue, it's in the delivery.

    The big question is....even if they deliver an awesome dub, is there an audience for it? Furthermore, if they successfully destroy the old image, is the 'original' OP something US fans are really looking for? For us that's a no-brainer. I mean, we already know that OP is as deep as a hole to the center of the earth but some people just....don't care.
    My thoughts exactly. I know people who have been put off by the dub and won't bother with the un-cut version. Why would they bother with a re-dubbed version? The Sega Saturn didn't do 3D very well and was a huge flop as a result. While the Dreamcast was considered way better, because of the Saturn's mistakes hardly anyone supported the Dreamcast. I can see the same happening here with a new OP dub.

  13. #73

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    If there was a new dub, it'd have to start right from the beginning again, and I just don't think any company is willing to sink the funds into that. They did so with DBZ years later, and only because the show was massively popular anyway. OP just has a legacy of complete failure, due completely to having won the "worst mainstream dubbed anime ever" award.

    I'd always wanted Funi to be the ones to pick up OP, as it just seemed like the natural successor to DBZ for them. Hell, the recent Cross Epoch is more than enough proof of that.

    Eh, I don't think we'll ever see another dub really. We're about to hit episode 300 of the anime soon! Just such a shame that 4kids had to utterly ruin its chances of becoming a decent franchise in the english speaking world. I really hope its catastrophic failure has reflected badly on all the idiots involved with the gargantuanly stupid decisions behind its bastardization. It irritates me thinking that even though these people managed to turn one of Japans most popular series into something completely contemptable will still be getting jobs in an industry I'd kill to get into.

  14. #74
    just like new Impel Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    a,e,i,o, and the rest

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    At least there's still the manga.


  15. #75
    All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Rubber Rubber = Gomu Gomu
    Section Section = Bara Bara

    Both are superior translations to "Gum Gum" and "Chop Chop" in my view.
    I'll stick with "Gum Gum", "Chop Chop", and any other reasonable single syllable name for the Devil Fruits. And for the record, "barabara" is a word in of itself which means "to be scattered about".

    On that note, if given the opporitunity, heres how I'd interpret some of the DF names:

    Gomu Gomu -- Keep the English translation
    Bara Bara -- Keep the English transaltion, or call it "Split Split"
    Moku Moku -- Keep the English
    Hiso Hiso -- (A re-dub would be certian to give us the inevitable filler episodes, therefore....) I say.... "Talk Talk" or "Chat Chat"....
    Kama Kama -- "Sythe Sythe"
    Kilo Kilo -- Probably "Pound Pound"
    Doru Doru -- Keep the English
    Hana Hana -- "Bloom Bloom"
    Goro Goro -- "Shock Shock"

  16. #76

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    okay good, rubber rubber and gum gum.. yeah good.. uhm... who cares? Not in this topic okay? This is about the future of One Piece.

    You know wasn't Viz trying to get One Piece released uncut? So why wouldn't they be interested in a redub?... Also wasn't Funi wanting to release it uncut? Or at least other 4kids properties? This is their chance now. I mean if Toei wants to continue it in the US perhaps they will be willing to help out the other company and not charge a lot for the liscence or something like that...

    think of how well the uncut dubs of SHaman King and YuoGiOh did, this is no different. One Piece all ready has a huge fanbase and more will come along once they realize that the show is no longer crap.

    At least that's what I hope.


    EDIT
    Has ANYONE gotten though using the Toei contact page? It seems the submit button is broken... was anyone able to use it before?
    Last edited by Quexinos; January 6th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

  17. #77
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    The contact page just isn't working in general. Maybe it "broke" because so many people were using it? I hope Toei didn't disable it. Whatever, I'll try calling them to see what's up.

  18. #78

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Another idea I was just mentioning somewhere else is that we could contact teh various anime magazines (Newtype etc.) and see if we can get them to cover a story on the failure of the dub and what fans think about it. That would get some attention.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  19. #79
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    I just honestly do not see One Piece getting big in America after the flop of a show that 4KIDS try to produce, because people will still associate with the original dub.

    Even if Funimation actually makes the dub true to the original.
    ---now accepting applications for crew membership---
    ---send Mr. Death a private message for information---

  20. #80
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California

    Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_green_samurai_ranger View Post
    I just honestly do not see One Piece getting big in America after the flop of a show that 4KIDS try to produce, because people will still associate with the original dub.

    Even if Funimation actually makes the dub true to the original.
    You're forgetting that the Dub and American Manga introduced more than 3/4's of the forumers to One Piece and ultimately, the Japanese version.

    And don't forget that Viz is doing a great job in America.

    Also, don't forget that alot of people liked the 4Kids dub. Their DVD's sold quite well.

    This isn't a "ZOMG ONE PIESE WONT PHAIL! IT'Z TEH BESTEST!!" response because I like One Piece, but I actually just disagree.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts