+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: different vibes in different time zones

Default different vibes in different time zones

[disclaimer : my first new thread on AP -- I searched several ways but found nothing similar, so here goes ... ]

I suspect the four cups of Oolong Tea were to blame for it, but whatever the reason was, I found myself awake at 3:30 a.m. when most (sensible) people in my time-zone are soundly sleeping!

I'm located in the Pacific Time Zone, so I'm used to "real time" interaction with other Pacific folks, as well as with Eastern/Mountain/Central folks and with Canadians and Central Americans in similar zones. We also occasionally overlap with AP's UK night-owls and AP's Australian early-birds. However, by the time AP's Asians and Central Europeans have logged in, most Pacific folk have staggered off to bed. So Pacific folk rarely get to interact with them in "real-time", and instead have to play tag (responding hours later to the messages they send, and vice versa).

I mention this because during that sleepless night, I logged into AP at 3:30 a.m. and found myself interacting with an entirely different group of AP folk! (AP's Central/Western Europeans and Asians). It was initially very disorienting -- but interesting and enjoyable too ... and I'm not quite sure how, but the vibe was very different then.

So I was wondering -- have any other AP folk done something similar to this? Have you logged into AP during a time that's not "typical" for your time zone and noticed any differences?

I'm very curious about this now! -- about the ebb and flow of different groups of people through this forum during a typical 24 hour segment.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

......-- Tool (from Lateralus)

Default Re: different vibes in different time zones

Eastern Time Here for a mark point Current Time is : 2:15 AM

And it's 11:21 here in Pacific, which means that you Eastern folks will probably be going to bed in an hour or two if they aren't there already, and Pacific folks will probably be up another 2 or 3 hours (when I see the first posts from AP's Hawaiians and Australians, then I know I've stayed up too late) ;)

[EDIT : I meant to say "when I see the LAST posts from AP's Hawaiians and Australians" (since they're on an earlier time zone than I am) ]

Anyone else here right now reading this in a different time-zone who might want to make some commentary about it, about the vibe, etc.

Taleran, if you don't mind me asking, do you usually stay up this late? If not, do you notice anything different about this time than the times you usually visit AP? (More or fewer people, different crowd, different tone of messages, etc...)
    Last edited by dinty; December 16th, 2006 at 01:27 AM. Reason: damn perfectionism (changing first to last)
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Local-chan's Avatar

Mid-Day Greenwich time is soooooo boring, theres usually like...10 people on

Hi Local! You're in UK then, right? So that would be a time when most Europeans are at school or at lunch or at work, but most of USA and some of Asia is still asleep. Well, that probably accounts for the lack of people here then. Does it pick up typically in a few hours -- like, for instance, about 4-6 in the evening, or is it still "dead" until much later?
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

Yea most people usually don't get on here till around 6pm or so.

I FUCKING LOVE CHERRIES BobTheDarkOne's Avatar

Well, the only time I see very few people on is early in the morning(from like 5 am to 9 am). I don't get on the much during the day since i'm usually either at school or with friends, but since I'm in the eastern time zone(i think) I guess the activity level is pretty high. And now its almost 3 AM for me (I came back from a concert) and there's still lots of people on.

Hi Bob -- Yes, if it's three where you're at, then you're probably in the Eastern time zone. It's midnight here in the Pacific time zone. Since many of us stay up (especially on a Friday) past midnight, that could account for the crowds here right now. But when it gets to be 2 or 3 here, then almost all of USA is (theoretcally) in bed asleep, and that could account for the slow-down then. But I imagine that within an hour or two after that, it would get busy again, as Europe and Asia spend nighttime and early morning online.

A handy time-zone map for those who aren't sure where they're at time-zone wise :

http://www.worldtimezone.com/index.html
    Last edited by dinty; December 16th, 2006 at 01:30 AM. Reason: adding a map / avoiding double posting
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

you could also check the little clock in the bottom right corner of your desktop and then click Time Zone ^_^

*tries it*

Haha! Learned something new every day.
    Thanks Local!
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

I FUCKING LOVE CHERRIES BobTheDarkOne's Avatar

Heh I guess you're right Dinty.

I didn't know about that clock thing either. D:

But now I'm tired like hell and I'm gonna go...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I hear ya, Bob. I don't think I can last much longer either, but I'm hoping that while I'm getting some much needed zzzzz's, people will continue what we've started, or maybe experiment over the weekend and try waking up in the middle of the night, or getting up a few hours earlier or later, to see if there's much difference between then and when they usually post.

But that's not even necessary either -- it's been interesting just hearing more about the typical patterns and stuff.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

I'm the same time as taleran, but because of work, I'm asleep and awake at kind of wierd hours. BTW, it is currently 7:16am here. I was up and on AP at 5:30am though. It's kind of dead right now. a few people are on.

I usually go to bed around 9pm. Usually just in time to miss ADC post a new episode. lol I find, it doesn't get busy till later in the afternoon, and then again, after supper hours.

Hi captain usopp -- thanks for commenting! Let's see, so if you're in the Eastern time-zone with Taleran, then that means three hours difference from Pacific.

So when you posted at 7:16, it was about 4:00am in my zone, and about noon in Paris (which may have explained why the the most recent chapter thread had a spike in activity from Europeans for an hour or so -- because it's lunchtime for them.

Interesting!

(well, to me at least, but I'm funny like that) :)
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer AD-HD Pirate's Avatar

I shall heal this thread.

Okay, I am from Finland. And now clock is 14.16

...Time that I should go to bed.

Here in Finland it is:
    GMT+02:00

I'm from Portugal and for me you all have been posting since 7am!lol

It's kind of a shame we don't have a chatroom.

I'm usually on at any point between 9:00am - 1:00am Pacific Standard Time.
    Since I don't actually chat much, but post on the forum, I don't really notice so much of a descrepency.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

It's 8:19 in Eastern United States here. You guys posted at 7:00 p.m.

Yeah...alot less members on late at night/early morning in the pacific time zone.

I usually do end up playing "message tag" with Australians.

Oh wow! I just stumbled across my little thread and have discovered the mini-flurry of activity that it received just before Christmas! (And from some elusive Europeans, too!) ... Unfortunately I was offline for most of that week and was unable to be here to reply to your messages.

But thanks for leaving them here anyways!

So, let's see now: AD-HD, you are from Finland. And that is about 10 hours ahead of Pacific Standard time, right? I notice you often post in threads at about the same time as I do when I am taking my morning break at work. This would be about 9:30am for me, so about 7:30pm for you? (Or did I calculate that incorrectly). Well, if that's right, then it makes sense that you'd post at that time because it's just past dinnertime but just before bedtime, so a good opportunity to jump on the computer for a few hours in between.

Hi Skymo, let's see, if you are in Portugal, then that's GMT time, yes? So you and Local-chan (who is in the UK) would have similar patterns of activity here on AP -- assuming you have similar schedules for work, school, meals, etc.

Cosmic D.! Hi! :) Yes, this sort of thread probably would have been well-suited for a chart room now that you mention it -- but to be honest, I almost never go into chats, so I'm glad that we don't have one here. I spend too much time reading all the threads! -- like you, I do all my "chatting" on them too! Since you're on AP a lot (being an Admin/Admiral/Mod and all) you probably have a good feel for some of AP's "traffic patterns" -- like when to expect hordes of visitors, and when this place is more like a ghost town. Something else I'm curious about -- do you notice if AP gets surges of new members at certain times of the year or month, and does this seem to coincide with anything? (major plot moments in the manga, anime conventions, the release of Shonen Jump USA translations, etc). I wonder what draws people here and what makes them finally sign on and become official.

Hi MastaD -- another Easterner! So many of them have come to this thread. You and Taleran and Capain Usopp and Bob are all Easterners.

GearSecond -- hi! So you've noticed that too. Yeah, I can stay up until the Hawaiians arrive on the scene, then I usually have to go to bed, waking up a few hours later to see what Oceania added to the discussion. :)
    Last edited by dinty; January 20th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information