+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: different vibes in different time zones

Default Re: different vibes in different time zones

I think when I'm on in the evening, there's a lot of people. I'm in the Central US timezone, I believe. Around this time, I usually talk to Local for a bit before he starts his day, and then in the late afternoon, before his day is done.

I really shouldn't be up right now, I have work in the morning lol!

Interesting topic though~

Wow, this thread is rather interesting, Dinty. I'm in Texas (which is Central Time) and because of my ex-job, I have the most effed up schedule... I used to work 6pm-6am, but since I've lost my job, I'm usually on between the times of 4pm & 8am. I've never really taken into account the time discrepancy between our members before...

Discovered Stowaway

The forums seems generally empty during my nights, and I live over in Maryland.

While many people are online... they just... don't... post...

I notice that too sometimes. I'm bored, I come here, I see, oh good, lots of people. I'll be entertained for a while...I post something, and then, for hours, nothing happens, on here, even though there are lots of people. I wonder, if some people, jsut leave their computer in the middle of something. I know local, will leave his browser on AP, and be off, watching Dr who, or playing his DS XD

Hi Everyone -- thanks for commenting! Looks like you all were online just as I was going to bed through, so I missed being there in "real time" to interact with you. Something interesting will happen to my schedule this weekend. My worktime has been adjusted so that I'll come to work four hours earlier than usual and leave four hours earlier than usual. This means everything else (eating, sleeping, surfin' the internet, etc) will slide into a segment that's four hours earlier, too. So even though I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, my posting and viewing patterns on AP will be more like an Eastern Time Zone person!

This thread was visited by our Central Time Zone Marimos? Sweet! Howdy pardners!

Pirateneko -- [I dig your new avatar by the way -- excellent editing job]. Central seems to be a good Time Zone for interacting with the Greenwich Meridian Europeans -- it's got a few times that are "humane" for both of you, so neither has to stay up too late or get up too early to accomidate the other. It's fortunate that Local's located where he is and you are where you are. (as opposed to being in, say, Moscow and Seattle).

Mr Bushido -- wow, so you were keeping a graveyard/swing shift at work and visiting AP WAYYYY out of synch with your time zone (and still are, out of habit). Interesting! So that means your hours are more like an Eastern European than like an American, and your chances of being online at the same time as folks like Natli, Majek, and etc are pretty high.

Zulen. Hi -- Maryland is in the Eastern Time Zone, so you'd have to wait until about 10 or 11 pm your time for all the other USA time zones to return home from work or school, have dinner and get online. (That's one advantage we have here in Pacific : once we've finished dinner and gone online, most people in other USA timezones have already done the same too, so it's rarely empty here then. As for the lack of people posting then ... hmm... I haven't noticed that. It's always seemed very busy to me ... ( But then again, it could be just because our styles of posting are so different! I usually don't have enough time in one evening to keep up with -- let alone respond to -- all the posts that were posted that evening in the threads that interest me).

Like this one for example.

Captain Usopp -- interesting! Yes, I imagine that could be true. I turn my computer off the instant I'm going away to do something else (because I don't like to burn any more electricity/energy/etc than is necessary) but I know many people who leave them on all day, just so they can catch e-mail, stock quotes, etc the moment that stuff hits their inboxes.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

......-- Tool (from Lateralus)

I often stay up late these days to catch my friends in Singapore and Taiwan, and since I don't have to get up particularly early for my classes (my first class on Mondays is at 1.30. like whoa) I am sometimes on here late too. Although it's hard for me to keep track of who lives where so I don't know much difference ^^;...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Credo quia absurdum non credere. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Carly -- wow, your avatar is hynotizing me! Those eyes are so intense. What is he saying? :)

It's difficult for me to keep track of where most people live too, because very few people actually state their location in the "location" section of their profile!

So I like to guess the location, usually based on when they post and the sort of slang and phrasing that they use. Sometimes, the big hint comes from context in a message they've written : for instance, someone talking about a visit to an anime convention, or comparing something in their homeland with something in Japan, or etc.

I like to see how far across the globe this forum stretches -- I know we have people here from South America and the Middle East, too -- not just Europe, Asia and USA. I wonder if we have any from Africa yet. That would be very cool. Then we'd have someone from every continent (well, except Antarctica, but we could have had that too, if my friend had decided to spend another winter-over instead of returning to the USA) ;)
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

and here i thought i already posted here...

frankly at GMT+1, it's quite boring. because most people don't post that much when i tend to. ie. when i'm at work.

Bonjour Igalsfy! -- I'm responding to your post at 5:00am Pacific Time (GMT -8), which is rather early for Pacific Folks to be online, but not too early for Eastern USA and Europe to be online. I leave for work in about 20 minutes, then have my first breaktime at work in about three hours. Breaktimes are my only chance to be online during work, though I'm sometimes able to read AP -- but not respond to it -- when work is slow.

I think you're right about how very few people will post when you do because you're able to post at work (most people don't have that luxury!). I think it's also quiet during that time because those time zones seem to have smaller crowds than the time zones closest to my own.

However, now that my work schedule has moved so early into the morning, my "active" time zone and my actual timezone seem very different! (I wouldn't have posted so early in the morning a few weeks ago!). Ok, time for me to get offline and go to work now!
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information